Education Management Corporation

www.edmc.edu
  www.edmc.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation

Underpaid for most areas but a nice virtual job

Former Employee - Faculty in Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Faculty in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

Virtual faculty positions allow you to work from home and not have to be located at the Pittsburgh headquarters. This is probably the best part of the job

Cons

The faculty role is low paying. Despite your virtual location, salaries are based on Pittsburgh wages (which are very low). If you are, say from California or NYC, you will find you can't teach full time and afford to live.

Company needs to focus on a quality level of students. The past few years the origination has become a haven for anyone who can sign on the dotted line and pay their tuition with a grant, student loan of military grant

336 Other Employee Reviews for Education Management Corporation (View Most Recent)

One of the worst places I have ever worked

Former Employee - Good Luck - You're Going to Need It! in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Good Luck - You're Going to Need It! in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

The money is there to make, if you are working 10+ hours of overtime each week. I was a finance counselor, and often saw the only perk of the job as the overtime. My motto was, as long as I'm stuck in this awful job, I will try to make as much $$ as possible.

Cons

1. EDMC is like a black hole that sucks people in - have you ever seen the tv shows where thousands of employees, all looking alike, walk into work each day....heads down, frowning, hating life? WELCOME to life in the strip distctirct, PGH headquarters for EDMC. Every morning at 9am, the Strip District becomes jam packed with cars, there are 20 year olds swarming the building everywhere.

2. It is very difficult to find a job once you are employed by EDMC. Luckily I had worked at other companies before going there- so it helped my resume when I went to interviews. However, most interviews I went on, I was questioned about EDMC and what I thought about their ethical practices. I also recieved the same grimmace and "ohhh, you work at EDMC...hmm - we know all about them." It took me appx 1 year to find employment outside of that comapny. I was passed up for jobs I was over-qualified for, all becuase of my assoc with that company. I am thankful daily that I got out.

3. You are treated horribly. Not once, ever...does managment Thank you for your services to them. Nope - they are all about more, more, more, more. In the Finance department, the only goals that were ever set were about talk time, talk time, talk time. They treated us as if we worked at a call center. Numbers are thrown around daily, along with the usual "YOU AREN'T DOING ENOUGH". As soon as you hit your "goals" they increased! Mgmt does not recognize that as a finance counselor, we had other duties and processes, along with all the excel spreadsheets that needed to be completed.

4. Final word of adivce..Stay far, far AWAY! You will never get promoted unless you know someone, you will be at work from 8-8, be forced to work 1-2 saturdays a month, constantly told you're not doing good enough - along with threats of discplinary actions, and you will watch the revolving door swing, bc no one in their right mind willingly stays employed there.

Change your ways or you will face losing all of your employees, and your reputation will continue to decline. Something is not right at that company (as in, they are in trouble and I believe its only a matter of time before they close their doors for good).

Fast paced environment with a lot of rapid change.

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation

Pros

Fast growing company, a lot of change, new initiatives as well as an upward moving industry with a focus on people.

Cons

Inexperienced executive management. No real focus on best practices for operational efficiency. No real methodology adopted at this current point in time.

Listen to your people, promote those who can foster new ideas, and those who have insight from other industries who can instill best practices.

There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation