There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation

The middle management only cares about numbers and recruiting students, even if they are not interested in the programs

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions  in  Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

There are a good deal of good people with whom I've developed lasting friendships.
ADA's have the potential to make a lot of money.

Cons

It's sales driven, which does not necessarily lend itself to education
The sales and education sides do not work well together
The ADA's are only worried about numbers and recruiting rather than retention
Middle management is often a joke
Leads are given to favorite ADA's
They are also given to top performing ADA's, which makes it difficult for new or others ADA's to perform well

Respect the ADA's and the organization by fostering an environment that supports education, retaining students and the promotion of completing a full degree rather than getting people to apply and complete one class.

296 Other Employee Reviews for Education Management Corporation (View Most Recent)

Don't Come Here

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Education Management Corporation

Pros

It's a job. Private cubicles so you don't get messed with to much. You and your immediate family can go to an EDMC school for any degree and it's free.

Cons

Crappy hours, forced overtime and Saturday's scheduled with no notice. Older reps make double and do very little. No leadership. No real training.

You've got some pretty good and smart people workinh there. A lot have left. Take care of those remaining. A kind word, recognition or a little praise go a long way.

A true learning experience and an eye opener to the type of conditions I don't want to work in.

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

If you like to move your desk over 20 times in less than a year you will be extremely happy, along with being comfortable with mice running around your feet.

Cons

I wholeheartedly agree with this review posted by a former EDMC employee:

"Cons

1. EDMC is like a black hole that sucks people in - have you ever seen the tv shows where thousands of employees, all looking alike, walk into work each day....heads down, frowning, hating life? WELCOME to life in the strip distctirct, PGH headquarters for EDMC. Every morning at 9am, the Strip District becomes jam packed with cars, there are 20 year olds swarming the building everywhere.

2. It is very difficult to find a job once you are employed by EDMC. Luckily I had worked at other companies before going there- so it helped my resume when I went to interviews. However, most interviews I went on, I was questioned about EDMC and what I thought about their ethical practices. I also recieved the same grimmace and "ohhh, you work at EDMC...hmm - we know all about them." It took me appx 1 year to find employment outside of that comapny. I was passed up for jobs I was over-qualified for, all becuase of my assoc with that company. I am thankful daily that I got out.

3. You are treated horribly. Not once, ever...does managment Thank you for your services to them. Nope - they are all about more, more, more, more. In the Finance department, the only goals that were ever set were about talk time, talk time, talk time. They treated us as if we worked at a call center. Numbers are thrown around daily, along with the usual "YOU AREN'T DOING ENOUGH". As soon as you hit your "goals" they increased! Mgmt does not recognize that as a finance counselor, we had other duties and processes, along with all the excel spreadsheets that needed to be completed.

4. Final word of adivce..Stay far, far AWAY! You will never get promoted unless you know someone, you will be at work from 8-8, be forced to work 1-2 saturdays a month, constantly told you're not doing good enough - along with threats of discplinary actions, and you will watch the revolving door swing, bc no one in their right mind willingly stays employed there.
    Advice to Senior Management
    Change your ways or you will face losing all of your employees, and your reputation will continue to decline. Something is not right at that company (as in, they are in trouble and I believe its only a matter of time before they close their doors for good)."

Stop putting students in college that have no place being in college. You are getting students approved for financial assistance that will almost immediately drop out and default on their loans. EDMC is a money maker for GoldmanSachs.

There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!