There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation

A true learning experience and an eye opener to the type of conditions I don't want to work in.

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

If you like to move your desk over 20 times in less than a year you will be extremely happy, along with being comfortable with mice running around your feet.

Cons

I wholeheartedly agree with this review posted by a former EDMC employee:

"Cons

1. EDMC is like a black hole that sucks people in - have you ever seen the tv shows where thousands of employees, all looking alike, walk into work each day....heads down, frowning, hating life? WELCOME to life in the strip distctirct, PGH headquarters for EDMC. Every morning at 9am, the Strip District becomes jam packed with cars, there are 20 year olds swarming the building everywhere.

2. It is very difficult to find a job once you are employed by EDMC. Luckily I had worked at other companies before going there- so it helped my resume when I went to interviews. However, most interviews I went on, I was questioned about EDMC and what I thought about their ethical practices. I also recieved the same grimmace and "ohhh, you work at EDMC...hmm - we know all about them." It took me appx 1 year to find employment outside of that comapny. I was passed up for jobs I was over-qualified for, all becuase of my assoc with that company. I am thankful daily that I got out.

3. You are treated horribly. Not once, ever...does managment Thank you for your services to them. Nope - they are all about more, more, more, more. In the Finance department, the only goals that were ever set were about talk time, talk time, talk time. They treated us as if we worked at a call center. Numbers are thrown around daily, along with the usual "YOU AREN'T DOING ENOUGH". As soon as you hit your "goals" they increased! Mgmt does not recognize that as a finance counselor, we had other duties and processes, along with all the excel spreadsheets that needed to be completed.

4. Final word of adivce..Stay far, far AWAY! You will never get promoted unless you know someone, you will be at work from 8-8, be forced to work 1-2 saturdays a month, constantly told you're not doing good enough - along with threats of discplinary actions, and you will watch the revolving door swing, bc no one in their right mind willingly stays employed there.
Advice to Senior Management
Change your ways or you will face losing all of your employees, and your reputation will continue to decline. Something is not right at that company (as in, they are in trouble and I believe its only a matter of time before they close their doors for good)."

Stop putting students in college that have no place being in college. You are getting students approved for financial assistance that will almost immediately drop out and default on their loans. EDMC is a money maker for GoldmanSachs.

reviews filtered by
  1. Lack of Structure, organization and efficiencies - causing employees to work longer and harder instead of smarter

Former Employee - Enrollment/Finance Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment/Finance Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

- Fast opportunity for advancement
    - Free education if you value a for-profit degree

Cons

- Very disorganized
    - Managers on ground level lack knowledge and guidance
    -Lack of sufficient training for most positions
    -Poor work life balance because have to fix everyone else's mistakes
    - Brands have negative press
    - Work here at your own risk

EDMC needs to train their managers and their people better. Managers run around like chickens with their head cut off. Insist on more support and better training from the top.

2. disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

Tuition assistance programs, benefits, good work atmosphere

Cons

Too large of an organization-- I felt that my accomplishments were praised at a local-level, but the board of directors and management team at a corporate-level were only focused on the bottom line. Projected growth was decided at a national-level without taking the time to research the local market, resulting in frustrated employees, low morale and high turnover.

Listen to feedback from employees-- people want to be part of something great and will be motivated to work harder if they feel they are being listened to. Having over-worked employees, who feel the goals they are working towards are not achievable, results in those employees going out in the community and speaking negatively about their work environment.

There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation