Good money, narrow work

Former Employee - Assessment Specialist I in Princeton, NJ
Former Employee - Assessment Specialist I in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Educational Testing Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The money is good for ex-teachers, who may have been making much less. The employees are wonderfully diverse. The Princeton "campus" is lovely, sporting a lake.

Cons

Developing test items can become tedious after several months, and especially toward the third year. As a non-profit, ETS doesn't naturally seek efficiency. This means that employees lack modern tools, and their work may be redundant because record-keeping and process are not... standardized.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great if you like stability

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Educational Testing Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Similarly to working for a government office or educational facility, the work life style is very relaxed. there is an academic feel as if you were in a college campus. Many employees have been working there for over 15 years and more. They value their employees. A very different place to work at.

Cons

Not too much upward mobility. Tons of red tape. A lot of politics, but then again, when is there no politics. I do not hold it against them.

Advice to Management

none. I think that they are doing okay.

Work from home as essay rater

I have been working at Educational Testing Service part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flesible schedule, work from home. Once you get use to requirements and scoring rubric, work is fairly straightforward (though it requires concentration). Most supervisors provide useful feedback.

Cons

Some months of the year are very busy, other months are very light - paycheck varies accordingly. Number os hours scheduled oer month sometimes seems arbitrary - others mention having more or less work, even if we request similar schedules. Because the work is conducted on home computer, there is little opportunity for interaction with others doing the same work.