Great!

Former Employee - Intern  in  Princeton, NJ
Former Employee - Intern in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Educational Testing Service as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people are amazing and make you feel welcome. The senior management is always open to taking out time to discuss things with you. It's a great place to gain both work experience and learn about the education industry- there are fortnightly workshops that are very informative and worth attending. But the crown definitely goes to ETS for the amazing and super-friendly people.

Cons

Very few cons. One might be that the departments have little collaboration and so when I was trying to get the support of another department for a research project, the process took a really long time and I had to spend much time in meetings.

Other Reviews for Educational Testing Service

Do the Pros outweigh the Cons? It can depend on what you're looking for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Educational Testing Service full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are a lot of positive aspects to working here:

A beautiful college like campus

Summer hours (2pm closing on Fridays in July & Aug paid for employees)

Decent benefits (health, dental, vision, disability with others benefits like legal available). Benefits are also available for live in partners and not just married couples

100% paid college tuition

A 403(b) which matches up to 5% (I think) AND a 6% Pension

3 weeks vacation to start, 7 PTO (those are your sick/kid is sick/ need to take a day off days) and 10 paid holidays. The company is also closed often due to bad weather. Honestly, sometimes it seems like the weatherman can predict a single snowflake might fall and we have a late opening/ early closing/ are closed altogether. For ETS employees this means a paid day off.

PSP bonus paid every year in recent years - most recently I think it was about 4% of your salary

Feel good bonus for working at a not for profit - the company does quite a bit within the community which is nice and the mission is good and talked about often. ETS Cares (a 3 weeks period of time where the focus is on raising money for charity) brings in over $500,000 a year which is always impressive and a real heart warmer.

It's near impossible to get fired unless you do something really wrong

Nice coworkers

You can easily move around within the company

Good work/ life balance. I leave work and forget about work, I'm not expected to work all hours of the day and night and on weekends. However, this is very much dependent upon what area you work in, some areas work their people like machines.

Cons

Projects don't ever seem to get finished, they just die. It seems like a project is announced and everyone is expected to drop everything and focus solely on that project until the VP decides to switch his focus to another project. And then everyone is expected to drop everything and focus solely on that project and the cycle continues over and over and over. Lots of work done but nothing is ever actually finished.

Things are implemented without proper support behind it or even fully thinking them through. Someone high up has a great idea? Let's roll it out next week!

There's a lot of talk of "innovation" but the company culture doesn't support it. The higher ups TALK about supporting it but it's not really supported. Just like how they talk about working remotely, they talk about what a great thing it is but those who do it are frowned upon and favoritism is apparent with who gets to work remotely and who doesn't.

We're building a new building that's completely open plan because, as they keep saying, "that's how Google works!". Yes, Google does work that way but ETS isn't Google. It's nothing like Google. The companies are totally different in every single way but the powers that be have decided that what works for Google will work at ETS. No one listens to the people that will actually WORK in that building.

The compensation bands are a joke. Basically, if you come in at a low salary expect you'll be paid a low salary for the entire time you work here. You can move up to a higher position in a higher salary band BUT they'll put you at the low end of that band as well. There is NO opportunity to raise your salary within the band outside of the annual increases (which top out at around 4%). Sure you might have the exact same job/ title as someone else but they can easily be making $20K more than you and still be within the same salary band. If you're applying for a job here aim high and fight for every penny because your salary at ETS will depend on it for years to come.

What the salary bands also mean is it's impossible for managers to reward their hard workers. Say there are two employees. Employee A makes a salary towards the low end of the band and doesn't work very hard. Employee B makes a salary towards the high end of the band and works really hard. Employee A will ALWAYS get a higher annual salary increase just because they are at the low end of the salary band. There is no way for managers to circumvent this, HR (called SWS at ETS) controls it all. There is a big song and dance about the increases being tied to personal performance but they aren't, they are tied to the salary bands and where employees fall.

It's near impossible for managers to get rid of low performing employees or problem employees. Often they're just allowed to do whatever they want or they are passed around from group to group.

At the same time there are a lot of managers who should not be managers. They may have taken a class but that doesn't mean they are good managers.

There are lots of long time employees which could be the death of this company. In many areas the long timers resist any and all change which means that any young employees brought in leave. I certainly wouldn't want to be young and working in Research.

Not much diversity at the higher levels. It's all older white men. There's a new diversity push which is good but we'll see how high any of those employees get. ETS is extremely top heavy. There are managers that don't have a single person to manage, they just have the title.

It'll be interesting to see what changes are implemented when Walt takes over. I hope there are big changes, we need it.

Good experience / Online rater

Current Employee - TOEFLiBT Rater  in  Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - TOEFLiBT Rater in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Educational Testing Service part-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent amount of hours - at least in the fall - not sure about the rest of the year
    Professional colleagues
    Freedom to work at your own pace
    Emphasis on accuracy and top-notch work

Cons

No information about reliability of hours year-round
    Unclear as to how one might be promoted
    Odd clauses in contract - "we can terminate your employment at any time for no reason" sort of thing and "we do not guarantee employment stability" (paraphrasing)

Raters are highly educated and qualified, thus should have contracts for reliable long-term employment.

There are newer employer reviews for Educational Testing Service.

Worked for Educational Testing Service? Contribute to the Community!