There are newer employer reviews for Edward Jones

I am grateful to work for such a good company.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Madison, WI
Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Madison, WI

I have been working at Edward Jones

Pros

You are your own boss.
No propriatary products sold.
Vacation reward trips
Profit sharing
Opportunity to become a limited partern in the firm
Good reputation in the industry
Providing financial advice is the only business Edward Jones is in.

Cons

Poor health benefits
doorknocking
You work with one other person (branch administrator) in a branch office so you spend a lot of time alone.

Advice to Management

NEVER go public. Ted Jones wanted us to own the company for the benefit of our clients.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I enjoyed my time with the firm.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Joliet, IL

I worked at Edward Jones

Pros

Edward Jones has a great reputation.

Cons

As a "new new" the prospecting methods they teach will not result in enough new accounts and gross commissions for you to keep your job.

Advice to Management

Be upfront with new hires that they will need to bring in business from friends, family and their own personal network in order to be successful.

Unrewarding

Former Employee - Senior Branch Office Administrator in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Branch Office Administrator in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Edward Jones

Pros

If you are lucky enough to work for a profitable and nice FA it can be a great experience as it was at the first office I was in. My FA was like my best friend, was very caring and great to work for. The time off and benefits that you begin with from day one are great compared to other companies. The hours and flexibility are good and allow for having a life outside of work and is a great position for mothers.

Cons

You are on your own in a branch with one Financial Advisor and if you don't get along guess what that's your problem according to Associate Relations in home office who pretend to be on your side so that you open up to them and then they turn it around on you and use your words against you. I was told to change my ways so I could cater to my Financial Advisor and if I was not willing to do things the way he wanted me to I could go find another branch. I was fired on the spot even though I have had an outstanding on every review, have gotten the highest ratings and maximum bonus amounts allowed and was offered Limited Partnership. I found out that even though I thought they valued me as an employee and saw me as an asset to the branch apparently anyone is expendable and they do not have your best interest at heart. The home office is based out of St. Louis and they did all of this over the phone without room for discussion. I felt like they were reading from a script and it was easier to fire me because it was done over the phone and there was no emotion involved. I was treated like a criminal even though what I had done was in the client's best interest and under the pressure of my Financial Advisor that I should be on the quest for perfection and I had missing information. My FA that I had been with for over a year did not even begin to try to help me and that hurt a lot. I feel very betrayed.

Advice to Management

Try to gain a better understanding of what it is like to be out in the "field" (the individual branches) so you can do a better job of managing your employees. It is unrealistic to expect a brand new (or seasoned veteran) FA to be a good manager of people when all you do is train them to sell financial products.