There are newer employer reviews for Edward Jones

A good company but a little misguided.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great company values and culture. They want to support you every step of the way.

Cons

They have a certain number of employees they want and will find an excuse to separate employment.

Advice to Management

Really talk to new employees to understand what the real world is like.

reviews filtered by

BOA camaraderie is very comforting but ultimately, BOAs are at the mercy of the FA

Current Employee - BOA Branch Office Administrator in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - BOA Branch Office Administrator in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was immediately overwhelmed with support from other BOAs in the area and was assigned an outstanding mentor who I could call anytime. Online training modules are great (if you have time to complete them) and home office support is excellent. Every day is different and the day goes by really fast. Great environment if BOA and FA work as a team/partnership.

Cons

BOA salary is way too low for the amount of work we do. Sharp learning curve and very difficult to find time for online training when you work in a busy office making it very easy to get behind. You are learning many different things every day and if a client is in the office while you are learning something it can be very stressful especially if your FA is of no help. FA has complete control over your reviews, pay and bonuses which if your FA is great no problem but if FA is difficult then you are screwed. Many other BOAs I've talked to are very happy in their jobs because their FAs are great so I was just unlucky.

Advice to Management

Start paying BOAs better! We are a critical part of the branch team and should be compensated adequately for our hard work.

Inclusive culture but no upward mobility

Current Employee - Branch Office Administrator
    Current Employee - Branch Office Administrator

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a BOA, you will sit in an office with (or without, some spend a lot of time out of the office) one financial advisor. If you have a financial advisor with years of experience and a developed client book, your day will be filled with scheduling client appointments and processing paperwork, executing marketing campaigns, and triple-checking your work to make sure you followed FINRA regulations.

The company culture is very warm and family-friendly but make sure you drink the Kool Aid. The home office provides great back up support and will help with any process. The training provided to new BOAs is incredibly comprehensive- you could start the job with no office experience and become an expert in 6 months. For anyone with prior experience, it's a little redundant and simplified for the lowest common denominator.

Benefits package is pretty comprehensive: medical, dental, vision, 401k matching, profit-sharing, vacation & sick days, adoption and tuition assistance.

Cons

If you have a new financial advisor, your day will be spent pretending to be busy because you have no clients to service while your financial advisor panics about making numbers which is entirely out of your control. The only advancement for BOAs is to become a Senior BOA, the same position with a small pay bump, unless you decide to train to become a financial advisor or move to St. Louis to work from the home office.

Maternity leave is short-term disability/FMLA unpaid time/any sick days you haven't already used, so not tremendously supportive for a "family-oriented" company. Compensation is below average for this position which is really more customer service than administrative. BOAs are paid hourly and some financial advisors are militant about not paying for a full day if they tell you to leave 15 minutes early. Medical insurance is high (VERY high) deductible so be prepared to pay for most of your healthcare costs out of pocket.

Advice to Management

Pay us better, make us salaried, give us some advancement opportunities that aren't dependent on the financial advisor's success, and go back to a co-pay based health insurance plan. You say that we're your biggest client retention tools, please treat us that way.

There are newer employer reviews for Edward Jones