Timing is key

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Edward Jones has created a terrific culture-- everyone is very willing to help each other suceed, good focus on family and work/life balance, simple business model

Cons

Unless you start in an existing office or by taking over existing assets, it can be very challenging to make any real money in the first few years. Be prepared to have a fluctuating and at time anemic income. The income figures suggested as averages for new advisors are grossly inflated.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent during the hiring process concerning what new advisors can truly expect.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great place to start, or if you work it right- retire

Former Employee - Financial Advisor
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a simple person that cares more about selling than the academics for portfolio constructions, then this is a great company. These guys are not the best and brightest, but that is ok, the clients that they are serving are not the most sophisticated.

Cons

I would like to sell covered calls for my clients and for those that had too much in one security, I would have had them purchase a put option if they would not diversify.

Advice to Management

I don't have a whole lot- just make sure the company is profitable.

VERY LOW BOA COMPENSATION-POOR PAY

Current Employee - BOA Branch Office Administrator
    Current Employee - BOA Branch Office Administrator

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for Jones allows a sort of independence but the key to happines in this "job" is to be teamed with a good financial advisor. This job will be a living nightmare if the financial advisor's personality and work ethic does not mesh well with yours. The home office support is awesome and the technology makes the job very easy.

Cons

Very very low pay for Office Administrators. Financial advisors receive commissions on new accounts, life insurance, annuities, long term care, and so on, they also receive these lavish diversification trips. BOA's receive no commissions and the bonuses are based on the Financial advisors discretion, and of course we receive no diversification trips. The only prizes we receive is if we complete a trimester goal-which may put 25-100 back in my paycheck. I have an undergraduate degree in Business and I have received no increase in pay and am not allowed to put my academic accreditation behind my name on my business cards. The company is not very family friendly oriented and Human Resources doesnt really seem to take input from the BOA's. My pay is very low compared to area businesses.

Advice to Management

Compensate BOA's for the work we do. Why are there no Diversification trips or commission pay for BOA's-why do Financial advisors receive all the credit when it is supposed to be a team centered environment?