Edward Jones

The Balanced View

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Edward Jones

Pros

Probably the best big firm in the brokerage business. It is very careful not to even offer very risky products to clients. This keeps everyone out of trouble - clients, the firm, and advisors. The willingness to offer guidance is outstanding - at many firms, advisors guard their knowedge carefully and jealously, so as to keep their advantage. At EDJ my experience was that there was an enormous amount of camaraderie and willingness to spend time coaching and mentoring younger advisors. The tools available to help clients are outstanding as well. Many firms allow only top producers to use things like the Morningstar X-Ray - EDJ makes this available to all advisors. Also, the customer contact database is far superior to other firms I have worked for.

Cons

The work of a financial advisor is tough at all firms. EDJ could do more to support young financial advisors in their careers to reduce the failure rate. Benefits for financial advisors are very costly after the subsidy period is over (2 years?). At the end of the day all financial advisors at EDJ and other firms are sales people - that is what is valued the most - their understanding of portfolio construction and financial planning is hit or miss depending on the individual skills of the advisors they hire. My experience is that the experience of the average advisor is a little thin. I would not want my parents to invest with an EDJ advisor unless they had "real" credentials - a CFP or bachelor's or masters in financial planning. Truth be told, this is rare, not just at EDJ, but across the industry.

EDJ is a great company with so much going for it that sometimes it is difficult to recognize weaknesses. Perhaps because EDJ has such a committment to a buy and hold strategy it is very slow to recognize when a company is really a loser and tends to hang on to buy and hold opinions on stocks and bonds when those should really be sells. I think EDJ should work to strengthen its research capabilities so as to not be caught off guard by Chrysler or Lehman Bro's bonds or by Worldcom, Citi, Wachovia stock implosions.

912 Other Employee Reviews for Edward Jones (View Most Recent)

Edward Jones Boa's working with New FA's

Current Employee - BOA Branch Office Administrator in Tumwater, WA
    Current Employee - BOA Branch Office Administrator in Tumwater, WA

I have been working at Edward Jones

Pros

The benefits are the best I have ever seen.

Cons

The new FA turn-around can be difficult, it's a new supervisor every time an FA doesn't make it. FA's are the direct leader/supervisor of the BOA, they are solely responsible for approving time-off, and suggesting/allowing pay increases through reviews.

More supervision or accountability check points for new FA's. It appears that FA's physically being with another veteran FA are more accountable. They have to make contacts...someones watching! BOA's should be able to submitt a review of their FA to the firm...I believe this information would be priceless!!! BOA'a are the eyes and ears of what is going on in the branch.

Fortune ranked #2 in 2009
    If sales is for you, FA for Ed Jones will probably be the best choice

Current Employee - BOA
    Current Employee - BOA

I have been working at Edward Jones

Pros

Balance between work/personal life is very good
    Lots of support from home office to their branches
    Relaxing workplace

Cons

No real growth opportunities outside of home office
    2 positions in branches, Financial Advisor and Office Admin

It would be nice to have financial analysts with the advisors in branch, also BOA seem to be overlooked in terms of growth within the company and benefits when realistically, they are work horses of your branches.

There are newer employer reviews for Edward Jones