There are newer employer reviews for Edward Jones

Great company to work for under certain instances.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great core values. Investment platform and resources are top notch. Great support group. Training and development are terrific. A lot of quality people that work for the company. Compensation is great once you find your niche and start producing.

Cons

Very old school approach at growing your business. If you are not provided an office with assets, you will have a tough time keeping on board with their door knocking and cold calling approach to growing your business. You are often times on an island by yourself with your own thoughts. Stringent standards you must meet or else you will be terminated.

Its the 21st century and although door to door can be an effective way to growing your business locally, you must teach alternative ways using favorable introductions with family and friends. People are very opposed to doing business at their door step.

874 Other Employee Reviews for Edward Jones (View Most Recent)

You have to fit the mold and buy in 100% or you will be miserable

I worked at Edward Jones full-time

Pros

-Provide you with all of the financial tools you need for analysis
    -Veteran FA's will go out of their way to try and help new ones
    -provide industry standard training for exams (no better or worse then most others)
    -better base salary then Indy firms, but minimum wage for first 2-3 months
    -Good Culture (client's interest)
    -Some nice people

Cons

-Bad Culture (if you struggle , the company claims you are not a "hardworker" and doesn't offer much help to find a solution)
    -Absolutely ZERO work/life balance first 3 years (you will work from 8 a.m to 9 p.m weekdays, and 6 hours Saturday
    -One Size fits all approach, no innovation with sales/prospecting techniques
    -Software/ technology is a complete joke (the system has fantastic content, however it takes me 2 hours to get into the system most days and terrible usability)
    -Big Brother Feel -- you will receive calls from a faceless name in STL every other day
    -If you are "New/New" you will work from home for 1 year
    -Stiff contract (you can quit anytime, but be ready to pay them back for training)
    -Door-knocking can work, but it isn't very enjoyable (Unless you are the perfect jones fit)
    -Benefits worse then rest of the industry

My Advice
    - If your not the type of person who talks to everyone they come across in any situation, then do not take this job. You are expected to basically befriend thousands of people in hopes that some of them will like you enough to give you some of their nest egg. To me, this was just incredibly draining and monotonous. You have to truly know that you want this job, be able to accept having no life for 3 years, and be extremely self-disciplined. I am a very hardworking person, but I need some structure in my work life, therefore it wasn't the best place for me.

I thought It sounded like a good opportunity with alot of freedom. In truth you have too much freedom in your daily activities, but absolutely 0 freedom in long-term orientation, goals, and expectations.

- Don't manage through fear of being fired, manage by making the new hires truly feel like they are part of something and that they are valuable to the organization. I had that feeling for the week in STL, but as soon as I left, I just felt like I was just another one in, another one out.

WARNING---Watch Out

Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for less than a year

Pros

Not sure if there are any.

Cons

The employment contract is very one sided: Edward Jones sided. If you leave the company for any reason (e.g. they fire you) within the first 3 years, you owe Edward Jones $75,000. They expect new FA's to work 60 hours a week. I think they are a sect, like Scientology.

Be honest with prospective employees about the employment contract.

There are newer employer reviews for Edward Jones

Worked for Edward Jones? Contribute to the Community!