There are newer employer reviews for Edward Jones

Fantastic company to work for if you are willing to work hard.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Madison, WI
Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Madison, WI

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I read through several of the reviews on this site and as an adviser of 9 years with Edward Jones, I felt like I needed to give my $.02.

Most reviews make it sound like a bad thing that they monitor your performance strictly. What job have you had that doesn't monitor your performance? Yes, it is based on "sales", but sales are a RESULT of advising.

That being said, the autonomy offered by the position is both a blessing and a curse. You are your own best friend and worst enemy depending on your effort. I left a job as an engineer to become a financial advisor and haven't regretted it for a second. I started out with no assets and after several months had an opportunity to take over a small existing office. I grew it very quickly and fast forward 9 years later, I'm one of the biggest producers in the firm.

You have to be willing to step outside of your comfort zone and meet people. You have to dedicate time to become connected with folks and grow relationships. If you can do this, you will have success. Here is a bullet point list of my "pros".

- My success is determined by my effort.
- I dictate my own schedule.
- When starting out your overhead is completely covered by the firm.
- The BEST training in the industry.
- The BEST culture in the industry. We put the client first and take care of our employees.

Cons

-This career isn't for everyone. Developing clients, at Edward Jones or any other firm in the industry, is a challenging process that you have to be willing to work at.

-It is a commission based job. Be prepared to have slow months at the beginning, but it doesn't have to be that way if you put in the effort!

Advice to Management

Remember that the Financial Advisers are the profit center. It is important to hire quality candidates and make sure they receive the proper training from beginning to end. That means continued support while in the field (and from the field) with less of a throw it against the wall and see if it sticks mentality.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A great company culture if you are extremely motivated and willing to sacrifice a lot in the early years.

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time

Pros

Lots of support from both regional team and home office team.
    Good training program, for the most part.
    Very empowering company culture.

Cons

Starting base pay is very meager and unless you have friends and family that are willing to invest with you upfront the commission pay is a distant dream of sorts.
    Company culture can be very closed off, to the point of feeling like you are part of a religious organization.

Advice to Management

Make your starting pay for scratch starters more lucrative, I understand that you need a carrot on a stick but the reason I left was because I couldn't pay my bills. If you really want to grow to your 2020 vision invest more into new hires.

If anyone tells you that you'll make a lot of money at this Financial Advisor job RUN!

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some nice people. There is thorough training for taking the Series 7 and 66.

Cons

The door knocking for several hours per day is ridiculous. People typically do not answer doors for random people and do not often discuss their finances with someone at the door during dinner. Products are limited, you have to push products to make money and you never know if you'll have a good month or make zero money. Also, I was partnered with a senior advisor who didn't want to work to get new clients, so was very interested in working my prospect list.

Advice to Management

It's not fair to sell the job as a money-making opportunity, it is not. I made less money in my first year than I had made in college. And I was at the top of my class. Also, it's not honest to tell people it's more difficult to get into Harvard than EJ. Many people in my class didn't even graduate college!! I also know countless people who have been continuously called by recruiters so it's not so difficult to get an offer with EJ. It's frightening to think that after a few months those uneducated people were allowed to manage money. Failure rate of advisors in the first 1-2 years has to be about 94%.