Edward Jones

www.edwardjones.com
  www.edwardjones.com
There are newer employer reviews for Edward Jones

The timely training and business building tools you need for unlimited success ... all you have to do is work hard!

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Saint Charles, MO
Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Saint Charles, MO

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Edward Jones is a limited partnership, exclusively owned by its employees and retired former employees. There is not a single day since I started with the company in 1999 where I woke up and thought, "I wonder if I'm gonna have a job today" This is a huge advantage over any publicly held company.

The training is excellent, you are taught the right ways to engage prospective clients in conversation to build trust and ask for their permission to follow up instead of picking up the phone to make cold calls. This is one reason why the "Do Not Call" list has never been a concern for me, because I have spoken with all of my prospective clients face to face to gather their contact information from them.

The culture is very supportive and the FAs are taught early to be respectful of their peers and not prey upon each others clients. I sincerely like working with the other FAs in my region and am happy to help any of them when asked and I feel the same about them if I am ever looking for ideas or support.

The structure of the business having one FA and one BOA in each office is great. I am able to tailor the entire office to my needs and have few disruptions on a daily basis.

Cons

This is can be an exceptionally rewarding career with the right level of hard work and dedication, especially in the first few years as you are building your business. But it is a CAREER, not a JOB. If you aren't 100% fully vested in your success along with receiving complete buy-in from your family, then you should not consider becoming a financial advisor. Its a trememdous amount of hard work and long hours the first few years while you're building your business. When prospecting for new clients, you will be asking them to trust your advice in achieving many of their most meaningful financial goals. Its a huge responsibility on your part and they deserve nothing but your best. If you apply, with the attitude of becoming an FA to try it out, knowing all along that if it doesn't work you have a back up plan, then you should not apply at all. Its too important to the lives of the families that you'll be working with and not fair to them.

Continue to do all that is necessary to preserve the culture of Edward Jones, sharing its past with each generation of new associates. And at all cost, do what is necessary to keep our company a private company.

925 Other Employee Reviews for Edward Jones (View Most Recent)

Door Knocking SUCKS. Other than that, they're OK

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time

Pros

Decent people on the ground, if you can make it through the first few years it pays well

Cons

Door knocking, door knocking, oh and did I mention door knocking? The success of this strategy is somewhat dependent on where you are, but the company is 100% convinced that if you are having trouble you are being lazy. Right now my results are lagging behind, and I've been chased by dogs, stung by bugs I didn't know existed, and other fun stuff. And it isn't for lack of knocking, believe me.

Do more with goodknights and making sure that advisers get some AUM up front so they can make it through the first couple of years. It's foolish to allow good candidates to wash out because their town isn't good for knocking. You've been in urban areas long enough to know that knocking can be extremely unproductive there.

Financial Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

compensation tied directly to effort. In a position to change people's lives for the better. I control my schedule and answer only to my clients needs. Total payout exceeds 60% in good years and high 40% in tougher years. The only requirement is to run an ethical profitable business.

Cons

Very hard work in the begining building the foundation of a business that will take care of your clients and your family for a life time.

Keep rolling out new technology to serve our clients, keep us an employee owned partnership, keep delivering new platforms to deliver products and keep delivery choices of fee structure for our clients.

There are newer employer reviews for Edward Jones