There are newer employer reviews for Edward Jones

In the business for 35 years, but have been a Financial Advisor with Jones for the past 13 1/2.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Hot Springs, AR
Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Hot Springs, AR

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The individual office and dedicated assistant are major pluses, as well as investment freedom, the travel awards, and participation in my regional management.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is that we cannot do covered options.

Advice to Management

Listen more/ask more of the FA's -- the people in the field -- for advice and feedback BEFORE instituting programs and it would keep from having to make excuses for changes later.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. okay company. underpaid for the amount of knowledge they want you to have

I have been working at Edward Jones

Pros

good co workers, only thing that kept me coming to work

Cons

terrible communication from upper management. Leaders have no idea how to do your job so they are minimal help. preach responsibility based management but is very micro managed. leaders will lie to your face telling you what you want to hear to try to keep you happy. when questioned, they will claim they are not sure who made the decision

Advice to Management

need to get rid of some of the leaders. make sure the leaders are actually doing work. most of them sit around being petty micro managers and add no value to the department or the firm

The timely training and business building tools you need for unlimited success ... all you have to do is work hard!

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Saint Charles, MO
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Saint Charles, MO

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Edward Jones is a limited partnership, exclusively owned by its employees and retired former employees. There is not a single day since I started with the company in 1999 where I woke up and thought, "I wonder if I'm gonna have a job today" This is a huge advantage over any publicly held company.

The training is excellent, you are taught the right ways to engage prospective clients in conversation to build trust and ask for their permission to follow up instead of picking up the phone to make cold calls. This is one reason why the "Do Not Call" list has never been a concern for me, because I have spoken with all of my prospective clients face to face to gather their contact information from them.

The culture is very supportive and the FAs are taught early to be respectful of their peers and not prey upon each others clients. I sincerely like working with the other FAs in my region and am happy to help any of them when asked and I feel the same about them if I am ever looking for ideas or support.

The structure of the business having one FA and one BOA in each office is great. I am able to tailor the entire office to my needs and have few disruptions on a daily basis.

Cons

This is can be an exceptionally rewarding career with the right level of hard work and dedication, especially in the first few years as you are building your business. But it is a CAREER, not a JOB. If you aren't 100% fully vested in your success along with receiving complete buy-in from your family, then you should not consider becoming a financial advisor. Its a trememdous amount of hard work and long hours the first few years while you're building your business. When prospecting for new clients, you will be asking them to trust your advice in achieving many of their most meaningful financial goals. Its a huge responsibility on your part and they deserve nothing but your best. If you apply, with the attitude of becoming an FA to try it out, knowing all along that if it doesn't work you have a back up plan, then you should not apply at all. Its too important to the lives of the families that you'll be working with and not fair to them.

Advice to Management

Continue to do all that is necessary to preserve the culture of Edward Jones, sharing its past with each generation of new associates. And at all cost, do what is necessary to keep our company a private company.