There are newer employer reviews for Edward Jones

Great for breaking into the Industry.

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time

Pros

Will push you to get all of our FINRA licenses. You will learn alot about the industry. The products are top notch.

Cons

Pay is low unless you are an FA. Not alot of upward movement unless you play the games.

Advice to Management

Promote from within.

Other Employee Reviews for Edward Jones

1. If you're a hard working, self starter, this is the place for you.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Been with the firm for about 13 years. Last year earned about $200k, I'm a limited partner and typically earn two company paid vacations per year. I earn trimester bonuses and profit sharing each year. There's no ceiling on my earnings and I make my own schedule. Our firm makes a huge effort to hire women and minorities. I believe the firm really cares about their employees; offers a complete benefits package. Home office support is normally great. I'm free to run my office the way I want as long as I'm legal, ethical and profitable. New advisors are paid salary + commissions/bonuses over their first three years with additional bonus opportunities over the 3-6 year period.

Cons

Commission sales isn't for everyone, and if you're lazy or feel entitled, don't apply. It took a lot of work when I started -- 12-15 hr days. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. Our business model (only one advisor in each office) isn't particularly cost effective. That said, I like the idea that I control my office & expenses.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster the "Jones" culture. I trust our leadership.

Great place to learn, great training, still a typical wall street wire house....in disguise. Very disappointed.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great training on how to sell.

Cons

It's all about selling, and commissions/production. They want you to have 100s if not 1000s of households to serve(3 to 4 new households a month for the first 4-5 years----- the quotas don't stop there) and the main focus is sell sell sell. I feel this is not in the best interest of the clients. With a book that big many don't get the attention they deserve (which is why Edward Jones clients have become accustomed to being handed off to other newer advisors once their advisor has "too many clients"----they are then put on a newer advisor with little experience who is "starving" to have clients. Edward Jones commercials tout. "a Financial advisor who doesn't put their short term agenda first," HARDLY. With the high commission expectations, and low payouts, that's about all that is on the newer FAs minds! For the commissions their advisors do earn, they underpay their advisors(they keep about 2/3 of what you earn!) . They have a way of making average or only "meeting expectations" producers feel like they are never good enough. On top of that they do not fully support the FA as they promise when it comes to HR issues with obnoxious and unethical BOAs. The people who make the real decisions are in St. Louis and they do not know about local markets, and do not know you. They do not provide adequate training on management skills (how to manage your admin person). The focus is much more on sales, time management to maximize sales, how to ask questions to make sales, how to streamline your business to make sales, quotas quotas quotas.....Very hard to do what's right for your clients in an environment like this. Actually, very hard to be happy in an environment like this. Not sure how they get their fortune 500 rating claiming top place to work.....Must be surveying the home office desk people.....They are not as loyal to their FAs as their FAs are loyal to them... its a shame.

Advice to Management

Get to know your FAs and their concerns. Allow the Regional leaders to make hiring/firing decisions and not some St. Louis person who is totally removed. Increase payouts, eliminate national advertising, and pay more to the people doing the real commercials for the firm, face to face on the doorsteps. THEN you might have less atrition....Also, phase out single advisor offices, group a few advisors into an office to keep firm costs lower.