There are newer employer reviews for Edward Jones

Great company, but business model not a good fit for me

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Independence, great training, regional leadership in my area was and is fantastic, as are all the people I met while working for the company. If you can "drink the green kool aid", you will love it. The people that succeed are incredibly passionate about what they do and the company, and it's inspiring. Got to meet several former managing partners while working for the company. If you like being on your own without a boss, you will like it. You have support, but you have to seek it out and pick up a phone in order to get it. You really do get to build your business as you want to, as long as you are profitable and ethical, which is really empowering.

Cons

The business model just wasn't a great fit for me- you are very isolated, working from home for a good portion of your training. You have trainers and mentors but, as they are also FAs, their priority is building their own business and you sometimes feel like you are imposing. I am more team-oriented and did not like the idea of sharing my office with just a BOA, which I might not have had any input on hiring. As with most financial firms, getting as many contacts as possible is the priority, and left very little time for any sort of life outside of work (I wanted to go back to school for my MBA, and was told there simply wouldn't be time). If you are a woman, be prepared to be severely outnumbered- my region had the best m-f ratio in the country, but I heard from other women that it was a boys' club and that there was some perceived biases that you couldn't do the job and be a good mother and wife (I heard that from a woman in the South). Even though you go door-knocking during the interview process, I was shocked at how difficult it was day in and day out. Pay for FA trainees is on par with industry, but a lot less than I made at my previous job as a retail manager for a large cell phone company. Be prepared for 60-70 hour work weeks and sleepless nights stressing over numbers. From what I was told, it doesn't get better until year 4. It's helpful to have a spouse that doesn't work, but my husband has his own career and it was too much for us at this time.

Honestly, it was a great experience and I am really grateful for the opportunity; it just wasn't a good fit for me and my family at this point in our lives. Having great regional leadership makes a huge difference, and I have nothing but respect for those that can stick it out.

reviews filtered by

Can't imagine living a better life than I am with jones

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Independence to work as you please and do what is successful for your particular strengths
    -Income potential. I started straight out of college, taking over a very small book (less than 5 million), and didn't sell to any friends or family, yet still have made more than 100% of my friends every single year just by following Jones' recipe
    -Work life balance. I come in as I please and leave as I please
    -Pride in running your own office
    -satisfaction in truly making a difference in your clients lives (being that you truly do what's right for your clients)
    -traveling. Not only are the diversification trips unbelievable, but the summer regionals are very nice and the due diligence trips are great.

Cons

-Nepotism. Friends or family of regional leader or GPS always get the best situation.
    -Those that take over good situations always have the best advantage for leadership roles and partnership. I feel like they need to take what you take over onto consideration when giving out leadership roles

Good company, with a solid foundation.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Investing principles, guaranteed salary for first 2 years.

Cons

Cold calling, door to door.

None