Edwards Lifesciences

www.edwards.com
  www.edwards.com
There are newer employer reviews for Edwards Lifesciences

Fantastic company to work for.

Current Employee - Senior R&D Engineer in Irvine, CA
Current Employee - Senior R&D Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent talent, a large percentage of fellow engineers are extremely competent. Well-established culture of recruiting and developing entry-level engineers from top schools results in a significant pool of young and eager talent. Great opportunities for growth, hard work is well-recognized. Exciting new technologies and industry-leading innovation. Ample opportunities to share in the success of the stock price.

Cons

Relatively long hours are expected when nearing major goals, but nothing crazy. Goals are set quite aggressively, making the aforementioned time crunch unavoidable. Significant differences in culture between business units. Relationship-oriented culture can be a pro or a con, depending on your personality.

Keep investing in young talent.

127 Other Employee Reviews for Edwards Lifesciences (View Most Recent)

Company without long term vision for employees

Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company has found new money and growth
    Use its new money on R&D, capital and facilities
    CEO is good

Cons

Use its new found money to hire Directors at high salaries from outside
    Does not promote within its employees
    Only promotes new hires and Directors, kind of forget about the middle management where the actual work and decisions happen
    Does not value hard work and does not reward actual results
    Value employees who are the loudest and make drama and have their way with senior leadership

When was the last time you have evaluated one of your employees career growth without judging him/her based on quick impressions or what you heard!

Think Carefully Before You Join Edwards

Former Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Edwards Lifesciences full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Current products and product pipeline seem solid. Edwards is a leader in surgical heart valves and now in transcatheter heart valves as well and their R&D appears to be sound. Physicians respect the company and products, for the most part.

The company does have a nice cafeteria, a reasonable employee gym and a basketball court.

Cons

Unfortunately, I found that management (mid to upper) at the company was quite poor indeed. It's an extremely political environment, fosters a culture of arrogance and sadly, incompetence. The culture, especially in the THV organization, can be extremely toxic and abusive.

I quickly learned that management thinks that 'their poop doesn't stink' as the saying goes. Well, let me assure you, the poop smells pretty dang bad and needs to be cleaned up in a serious way. In particular, the THV organization attempts to convey that it is forward thinking, like a 'startup', innovative and dynamic. In fact, the organization simply gives lip service to these supposed cultural attributes but displays absolutely none of them.

Interestingly, Edwards as a company is quite adamant about marketing its 'amazing' culture to its employees and that should actually be the first warning sign. Why, you ask? Well, the reason the company works so hard to market its supposed 'great' culture is because the culture is anything but amazing or great. It's one of the more toxic cultures that I have experienced in my career.

I believe the company's founder, Mr. Miles 'Lowell' Edwards, would be sad to learn of the culture that has developed.

IMPORTANT NOTE: There are many, many stories about inappropriate behavior by male executive/senior staff towards younger women employees. Personally, I've witnessed inappropriate/unprofessional behavior right in the office. Apparently, there is no shame.

I would absolutely NOT recommend Edwards to a friend, colleague or family member. Also, I find it quite interesting that because of previous bad reviews on Glassdoor, some senior people are trying to improve the ratings by posting overly glowing reviews.

A clean sweep is in order.

There are newer employer reviews for Edwards Lifesciences