Edwards Lifesciences

www.edwards.com
  www.edwards.com
There are newer employer reviews for Edwards Lifesciences

A blatantly incompetent and poorly managed company.

Former Employee - Engineer II in Irvine, CA
Former Employee - Engineer II in Irvine, CA

I worked at Edwards Lifesciences full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The good thing about Edwards is that it has very stable working conditions and job security. Edwards saves many lives, which is a very noble and commendable cause. The CEO seems like a very good guy- very caring and smart.

Cons

I was shocked to see that so many senior and principal level engineers lack very basic technical engineering skills. Very simple computer programming, Cad, and basic scientific principles were a foreign subject to most of the engineers I worked with. I was hired on as an engineer, and I did not know what to do with the lack of scientific and managerial foundation that I had encountered. Many engineering projects could have been better performed by high school students.

In addition to the lack of technical knowledge, there were managers that lacked basic common sense. I'm baffled by how a company can run with this many ignorant employees. Management is bent on maintaining the status quo because they don't want to be found out for being quacks. The good news is that Edwards is very good about keeping employees. If you know nothing about the medical field or engineering and if you can get your foot in the door, it's likely that you can keep working there forever.

The Edwards slogan is "Life is Now" is true for the products. But within the company, the saying does not maintain. There is such a professional facade because the workplace is in reality a very sterile environment. Clean rooms yes, but also the employees seem very sterile. There's a clear lack of energy and spirit within the company that's masqueraded by a fake smile and expensive clothing. I have not met an employee at Edwards who say they like their job, let alone love their job. There is an unproductive mentality and a toxic vibe at Edwards.

To the CEO - give both a performance based test and a written test to all engineers and managers. If most employees fail, then please consider rethinking the hiring and firing process.

128 Other Employee Reviews for Edwards Lifesciences (View Most Recent)

Edwards is a real roller coaster ride, some good times/some bad.

Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

there are a lot of great people here, have made some friends for life. Nice campus, decent benefits.

Cons

Leadership lacking in my dept., it is tough to focus on improving core processes when leaders are constantly driving the latest buzzwords and bogus initiatives. No understanding of what day to day in the trenches is so no real support. Vast difference in the business units, no consistency...

Time to decide if EW is really going to be a top tier company...time to get rid of some of the long timers who don't have a clue about managing and innovation. Now that times are tough, need to reevaluate strategy!

Very enjoyable, a solid company that offers the potential to advance ones career.

Current Employee - Senior CAD Operator in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Senior CAD Operator in Draper, UT

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable, Benefits, Tuition Assistance, competitive pay, opportunity for growth, Pride, Low Stress Level, Not micro-managed.

Cons

Slow to promote, Consistent use of outdated computer programs and technology, slow to implement new technologies and methods.

Get advice on how to make things better from those who work in the "trenches" and who can actually see where improvements can be made. Don't just listen to managers, they don't know.

There are newer employer reviews for Edwards Lifesciences