Einstein Bros. Bagels

www.einsteinnoah.com
  www.einsteinnoah.com
There are newer employer reviews for Einstein Bros. Bagels

Worst place I have worked for.

Current Employee - Shift Manager/Baker in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Shift Manager/Baker in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free bagels if the management allows it
Flexible with hours

Cons

Ok, where do I start?
- The company does not care about their employee's at all and all they do care about is profit. They put so much pressure on managers and even non-managment members to sell sell sell sell. My store is about a $16,000 dollar store a week and out of that, they allow for about 350 labor hours where most of their employee's are making minimum wage. Once a week, the general manager will have to do inventory and they allow for no more than $350 dollars in waste which is less than 5% of profits. This in turn causes managers to teach the staff to save food items that they realistically shouldn't save. Items such as expired food products that really shouldn't be used, sweets are only good for one day but we will save them for 2-3 days in order to ensure that the store does not go over that food cost numbers.
-Due to the lack of employee's and the volume of customers that come in at times, people are generally very upset and take it out on us. Complain to us about how long they wait or how there is no coffee, or how unclean it is.
-Upper management wants you to constantly ask customers to add items to their orders which aggravates most people because if they wanted it, they would have ordered it.
-The employees are so overworked and are very under paid and under appreciated. Most employee's make close to minimum wage, shift leaders make about $9.00 an hour and generals/assistant managers make about $11.00 an hour. General managers have to work 50 hours a week and assistance work 48. Assistance will get paid for any over time but general managers do not. Due to the fact that the store is consistently understaffed with only 350 allowed labor hours a week, the GM's are responsible to make up for the lost people. Due to this, other things suffer like store cleanliness and over all staff enthusiasm.
-They offer benefits to staff that has been there for over 6 months but they are absolutely crap.
-They do not offer any tuition reimbursement.
-Do not offer holiday bonus pay for ANY holiday.
-Everything in the store is constantly broken. The oven in my store is heading toward its 25th birthday and is barely running. The company refused to buy us a bagel slicer to replace our old broken one so we had to get parts from 4 other slicers and build our own, which is obviously dangerous since most of the parts don't fit together correctly. We can't get the freezer door open in the morning because it freezes itself shut. We called in to get it fixed but it was to expensive, so we were basically told to live with it.
-There is no communication between upper management and lower management so there are policies that are implemented that
-District managers are constantly nagging stores, calling them 3 times a day and watching them on cameras to see what we do wrong. They will then call to let us know how much we are doing wrong then when we change it, next week we are doing it wrong again.

This is just a few of the problems, but basically, you really don't want to work here.

Offer at least time and a half for holidays.
Have better communication between corporate and stores.
Pay your employee's above poverty at least.
Fix things that are broke instead of making employee's risk getting hurt or sick to save money

119 Other Employee Reviews for Einstein Bros. Bagels (View Most Recent)

I worked part time and management was flexible with my scheduling, above minimum wage for entry level

Former Employee - Cashier in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels

Pros

Flexible with Scheduling
    Above average pay for entry level in industry
    Good employee discounts; delicious food
    Easy training program to complete

Cons

The location I worked at was only open from 6 am - 6 pm so getting hours sometimes difficult
    Very early morning if needed for opening (5 am)

Hire outside management talent and/or be a little more selective in decision process
    Work on operational efficiency (We were always throwing away 50+ bagels at the end of the day)

Upper management needs a life coach, seriously

Current Employee - Shift Manager/Baker in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Shift Manager/Baker in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part about this company is they close at a reasonable hour.

Cons

Downside is pay. Lack of advertisement. Area managers and district managers are grossly
    Misinformed about employee knowledge of ever changing company preference / policy. Took away tips even though we are often expected to deliver food to tables even at peek times. Store overhaul for kds system which is ineffective and slower. No real flow of direction in stores customers even regulars are sometimes confused. Ever changing menu. Ever changing prices. Quality of food is bad No oppertunity for growth. No benefits. Facilities don't fix anything but area mangers will chastise employees for this infraction. Uniforms. Corprate attitude. Revolving gm door. Assistant managers don't exist in some instances harshly forced out. Lack of hours menu boards are inefficient and sloppy

The very thought that you think your doing well by your employees and customers is laughable. Every six months to a year there's a price increase for terrible food and coffee. KDS system overhaul was pointless and causes us to face away from already rude customers who get even worse with the attitudes as they travel down our confusing sandwich line. In my six years of working here I've gone through five gm 's and four dm's. Most of which were unresponsive towards anything we say but will gladly come out of the glass house they live in to chastise us on ever revolving company preference not policy as these things are never in a policy book distributed to all employees. No room for error if your not upper management. Realize location is everything my location is in a neighborhood so we rely solely on our regulars as any general person driving by may not know we sell anything beyond bagels. if you take time to advertise more outside of your exclusive bagel e-club more people would know we exsist and hopefully boost the sales in this company. Growth should not be placed in a gm's hands or regular employee. Our jobs are stressful enough without having to worry if I've promoted your new ten second idea to the extent that a radio ad or commercial would Business is not a cookie cutter affair so what works in Colorado won't Nessecarlly work in California Wisconsin and so forth. If you want perfect bagels fix broken equipment. As a baker I frequently must work around my proofer because it doesn't work properly. As a manger I found the pay wasn't worth the stress of dealing with whatever you guys come up with this week.

I understand your jobs are tough but ours are as well and when you heap obvious corprate issues onto underpaid and under appreciated employees you get the result you often do here in Wisconsin where our regional sales don't come close to adding anything of significance to this company as a whole.

Your business is being cheated as are your customers because of your steadfast refusal to simply listen to the people who work for you everyday. I know I've had to take a step back myself new she this job has singlehandedly made me a bitter person towards corparations

There are newer employer reviews for Einstein Bros. Bagels