There are newer employer reviews for Einstein Bros. Bagels

So your store is falling apart, why are you down in sales?

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - General Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Hours
Many Regular Guests
Amazing Free Coffee
Above average pay

Cons

Prices change every period
Switching in policies regularly including bonus, insurance, and vacation
Horrible corporate management, new roll outs canceled mid way, no communication, procedures changed constantly

Step into and run a store for a quarter. Look around. Write down what's broken. Fix it. Broken coolers, broken freezers, crumbling walls, over flowing grease traps, leaking ceilings, just to name a few. And this isn't even just my store. This is the entire area. Favoritism also runs rampant. Low performing stores are given leeway because of who runs them while high performing stores like mine are ignored or made to work harder to counter act. All corporate looks at the bottom line. It's black and white. But we can not compete with places like Panera Bread when our dinning room smells worse than our mens room.

108 Other Employee Reviews for Einstein Bros. Bagels (View Most Recent)

Worst place I have worked for.

Current Employee - Shift Manager/Baker  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Manager/Baker in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free bagels if the management allows it
    Flexible with hours

Cons

Ok, where do I start?
    - The company does not care about their employee's at all and all they do care about is profit. They put so much pressure on managers and even non-managment members to sell sell sell sell. My store is about a $16,000 dollar store a week and out of that, they allow for about 350 labor hours where most of their employee's are making minimum wage. Once a week, the general manager will have to do inventory and they allow for no more than $350 dollars in waste which is less than 5% of profits. This in turn causes managers to teach the staff to save food items that they realistically shouldn't save. Items such as expired food products that really shouldn't be used, sweets are only good for one day but we will save them for 2-3 days in order to ensure that the store does not go over that food cost numbers.
    -Due to the lack of employee's and the volume of customers that come in at times, people are generally very upset and take it out on us. Complain to us about how long they wait or how there is no coffee, or how unclean it is.
    -Upper management wants you to constantly ask customers to add items to their orders which aggravates most people because if they wanted it, they would have ordered it.
    -The employees are so overworked and are very under paid and under appreciated. Most employee's make close to minimum wage, shift leaders make about $9.00 an hour and generals/assistant managers make about $11.00 an hour. General managers have to work 50 hours a week and assistance work 48. Assistance will get paid for any over time but general managers do not. Due to the fact that the store is consistently understaffed with only 350 allowed labor hours a week, the GM's are responsible to make up for the lost people. Due to this, other things suffer like store cleanliness and over all staff enthusiasm.
    -They offer benefits to staff that has been there for over 6 months but they are absolutely crap.
    -They do not offer any tuition reimbursement.
    -Do not offer holiday bonus pay for ANY holiday.
    -Everything in the store is constantly broken. The oven in my store is heading toward its 25th birthday and is barely running. The company refused to buy us a bagel slicer to replace our old broken one so we had to get parts from 4 other slicers and build our own, which is obviously dangerous since most of the parts don't fit together correctly. We can't get the freezer door open in the morning because it freezes itself shut. We called in to get it fixed but it was to expensive, so we were basically told to live with it.
    -There is no communication between upper management and lower management so there are policies that are implemented that
    -District managers are constantly nagging stores, calling them 3 times a day and watching them on cameras to see what we do wrong. They will then call to let us know how much we are doing wrong then when we change it, next week we are doing it wrong again.

This is just a few of the problems, but basically, you really don't want to work here.

Offer at least time and a half for holidays.
    Have better communication between corporate and stores.
    Pay your employee's above poverty at least.
    Fix things that are broke instead of making employee's risk getting hurt or sick to save money

I worked part time and management was flexible with my scheduling, above minimum wage for entry level

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels

Pros

Flexible with Scheduling
    Above average pay for entry level in industry
    Good employee discounts; delicious food
    Easy training program to complete

Cons

The location I worked at was only open from 6 am - 6 pm so getting hours sometimes difficult
    Very early morning if needed for opening (5 am)

Hire outside management talent and/or be a little more selective in decision process
    Work on operational efficiency (We were always throwing away 50+ bagels at the end of the day)

There are newer employer reviews for Einstein Bros. Bagels

Worked for Einstein Bros. Bagels? Contribute to the Community!