There are newer employer reviews for Einstein Bros. Bagels

Bread on the table but come on give me a break

Current Employee - Crew Member in Lawrenceville, GA
Current Employee - Crew Member in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels part-time (More than a year)

Pros

50% discounts on meals, no late nights (store closes at 5pm), Room for growth within the company for everyone

Cons

-early mornings if you're not a morning person (early as 1-3am) mainly for bakers, shift managers and the GM

-company forces GM's not to exceed a certain amount of labor hours which causes GM's to under staff on certain days which results in complaints from customers bc everyone isn't as fast, some ppl aren't cross trained and that's when everything hits the fan especially on a busy day.

-company doesn't take their employees serious when it comes to internal complaints amongst other co-workers. The ABM (who only visits the store once or twice every few months) and Human Resource Manager will address every employee about the issue to get their perspective but won't follow through with appropriate action. We've had spy camera's in our restrooms, Shift Managers that harassed, used profanity and abused their authority but bc they had "great customer service," no action was taken leaving the employees frustrated and drained. The customers could cut the tension with a knife and it reflected in our performance as well.

-company will promote anyone to shift manager especially if they're desperate enough. Most GM's are stuck without any shift managers to cover certain shifts which leaves them to work from open to close 7 days a week (3am-5pm). When they find a shift manager it's usually someone with little to no experience who doesn't know how to run a shift or lead a team, leaving the shift to run it's self when the GM is off for the day. Epic fail.

-there are no set rules. every GM sets their own rules and regulations. We've had 6 different GM's in less than 3 years and each one had their own rules, some followed the rules by the book and then others took shortcuts. So, you probably won't get trained properly especially now that Einstein's no longer has it's own training store. Also, if you've been working their and a new GM comes along everything that you were told by the last GM is now thrown out the window because like I said each GM sets their own rules so it's sort of like starting all over again.

-no time and a half for working during the holidays! and no overtime allowed. the store is open for nearly every holiday except Christmas, but they're trying to change that.

Advice to Management

-Hire Shift Managers that actually know what they're doing. You can call their last job to see if they would recommend them before hiring.

-ABM's need to be more involved with their stores. They need to visit the stores more often and actually try to get to know the employees and ask questions. It shouldn't only be about the GM or the Shift Managers, the crew members matter also.

-Stop being so cheap and give your employees better raises when you know they deserve it. And time and a half if we have to work during the holidays. That's unheard of for me!

-Keep the rules the same that way it'll be an easier/smoother transition from Gm to Gm

- Train all employees especially shift managers and test them!!! Shift Managers should know how to do what a crew member does and more, not the other way around.

-learn how to schedule your employees. Don't schedule 3 people when out of those 3 people only one is cross trained, if someone calls out you're stuck or if they go on break they shouldn't have to stop eating to help out on the line. it's ridiculous. it's called a break for a reason!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not a good marketing environment

Former Employee - Brand Manager in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Brand Manager in Lakewood, CO

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-As close to marketing-driven company in the restaurant industry as you can get
    -Pays relatively well within marketing function for industry
    -Good level of talent at the Manager/Director levels
    -Fast-paced environment
    -If you're talented, they'll allow you to experience multiple functions in your career path
    -Good work/life balance

Cons

-It's a consumer-driven company with NO understanding of the consumer...no research budget, in-house insights employees, or segmentation/targeting/positioning
    -No one is willing to speak out against poor decision-making from the executives
    -Still pays below other industries in the marketing function like Internet and CPG
    -The fast-paced environment exists because of terrible planning/forecasting/process...we launched things with no business case, no rational thought, no testing and no executional planning...only to have them bomb and get pulled within a week of launch
    -I was there for a year and we went through 4 CMOs...yes, you read that correctly
    -Very secretive/shady hiring process for marketing
    -Some functional silos exist where other functions do almost nothing to help you out or move projects along
    -No proper performance evaluation process, core values/beliefs, or competencies exist

Advice to Management

Overhaul is needed

2. Was treated very badly

Former Employee - Line Worker in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Line Worker in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I met some of my best friends while working there, discount on food and free coffee

Cons

I was treated very badly by management. Worked there for over 3 years and only got one 25 cent raise, and that was just because the minmum wage had gone up. I felt used and not appreciated for anything I did. I was constantly passed up for a promotion and it was always given to someone who had worked there less time than I mad. When I asked to have additional responsibilities in the store my GM basically laughed at me and told me that I would just fail at it and that all I was capable of was making sandwiches for people. He didn't even let me take a break from being on the line and be on the register for a litte while because he told me he didnt think I could do it. I can't believe I put up with that treatment. I wish I would've walked out after he said those things.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better