There are newer employer reviews for Einstein Bros. Bagels

Disinterested management ruins a decent job

Current Employee - Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours, with nights never an option to work Relatively simple work Competitive pay for industry Fun atmosphere to work in

Cons

Completely disinterested management that often wastes company time rather than work Misleading job advancement promises Hours worked each week erratic and never guaranteed to stay full-time

Advice to Management

Learn to put more care into the store and the employees will as well

Other Employee Reviews for Einstein Bros. Bagels

1. "Great Manager, Good Co-Workers, Terrible Business Model"

Former Employee - Baker in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Baker in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours for associates. Free bagel and shmear for associates who take a lunch. Some holiday time after 6 mos. (Need to use it that year or you will have to fight for it next year.) Benefits are available to associates who work over a certain number of hours. No late nights (Close at 5pm for some locations). The baker's have fairly consistent schedules and don't work overnight.

Cons

Recent excessive labor cuts are making our customers walk due to long lines. Increased duties from the lower staffing has put a real strain on offering decent customer service. Up-selling and suggesting add-ons has really been upsetting regulars. Decreases in portions & quality while increasing prices. Sudden changes of policy with little to no notices. Implemented policies that look good on paper but work poorly in practice at the store-level An example is the increased labor requirements in our process due to the release of reusable egg boats for our egg sandwiches. Honestly it seemed like a good idea and is slightly more eco-friendly except for the extra water needed to clean them. But they do take a very long time to clean properly and they don't look attractive sitting in bus bins next to the sandwich line. They also don't seal the egg inside like the throw away tubs so the product just spills any time you move them from the reach-in fridge to the microwave. This results in the microwave becoming filthy and the customer loses some of their egg portion and it goes to waste or ends up in the sink). Increased paperwork and reports for associates and G.M/A.M's that seems like it is coming from layoffs at corporate/home office. New P.O.S. system is worse than old one and was released over labor day weekend with minimal training (the regional trainer was on vacation for the release). The 1-800 number for tech support is often unavailable at our opening hours so there is no-one to reboot the systems when they freeze and we cannot ring up the customers. Poor to no equipment maintenance: Our store was fabricated from a small retail store a long time ago, so the halls are narrow due to the added walk-in fridges and there is no space to keep the hot baking racks out of the normal walking areas safely. We have a very old oven, proofer and a barely functioning freezer with no shelving (everything is stacked and we use milk crates and improper materials for keeping things off the floor). Not to mention all the cold blocking plastic strips fell or were ripped off years ago. Our baking racks have rusted wheels and are very hard to move(dangerous when you're dealing with 500 degrees) and our baking sheets look like they were beaten after being in a fire. (Several of us have burned ourselves from pulling the racks out of the oven with so much force the pans fly off and hit us then burn the exposed parts of our arms that are not covered by the gloves.)

Advice to Management

-Put more emphasis on your source of income - the customer. Treat them right instead of wooing them for one-night stands with coupons. -Allow your employees to give them great customer service, with proper training, staffing, competitive pay, and most of all encouragement and also acknowledgment of a good job from above the G.M. level. I know times are tough and the bottom line is everything for a lot of companies right now. But when you cut off too much at the bottom and start hacking into the base of the tree... You've got to spend money to make money guys.

2. Excellent team and experience, but food industry not for me

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful supervisor and coworkers, great team morale, interesting customer interactions. Helpful environment; clean environment. Employees genuinely cared about work ethic and each other.

Cons

It can be tough working with difficult customers, especially in the food industry but you definitely practice patience, tolerance, and respect.

Advice to Management

Upper management did so well, he was very experienced, patient, and understanding.