There are newer employer reviews for El Paso

Good Stepping Stone and then Move On!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Work Life Balance (Flex 40 hrs. work schedule 1/2 days off every Friday) Community Leader (encourages community work to help others in need) Laid back environment in some cases Benefits package is okay Good place to get your "feet wet" in learning Pipeline and/or E&P.

Cons

Diversity is not a big topic (minorities and women seem to be a non-issue) Promotions are scarce unless you belong to a clique' of managers Certain managers spend after hours with young recruits in bars and sporting events Certain managers are disrepectful to individuals if you don't play the game. Most managers are inexperienced rejects from other oil and gas companies, some will even pretend to fake their actual skills and qualifications to yield some authority. Dumping ground on people who are hardworkers; playground for lazy people.

Advice to Management

Change some of the managers out and stop with the created "layers" of management. There are 3-4 managers for one team (SCM in particular).

Other Employee Reviews for El Paso

I learned enough to go to any energy company and get a job instantly.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

If you want to learn about the gas industry then get a job at a pipeline that trains you for months you will know more than schedulers who have worked for years.,

Cons

I think when its time for layoffs there is never a good way to do it but they could still learn alot about how not to stress everyone during the process.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, and remember just because someone is capable of doing more than most people remember they shouldnt have 3 xs as much work as everyone else or you will lose them.

2. Great!

Former Employee - Project Management Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Management Intern in Houston, TX

Pros

I loved working at El Paso. I got to see all phases of project management and was given the freedom to start projects due for the next year. Everyone is very approachable and doesn't mind answering questions. I learned more in those few months than I ever thought I would. They love to teach. It was a great experience. I left because I had another summer before graduation and wanted to try out another company.

Cons

- In project management you travel a lot so you must be okay with that. - When hired on from college you go through a rotation system for 18 months to learn 3 different phases of pipeline (different if you are a PE, I'm an ME) even if you already did internships. Seems like a waste if you know you like one segment. - Coffee is terrible! Thank god you can go into the tunnels and get some good stuff. Haha