Good Stepping Stone and then Move On!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at El Paso

Pros

Work Life Balance (Flex 40 hrs. work schedule 1/2 days off every Friday)
Community Leader (encourages community work to help others in need)
Laid back environment in some cases
Benefits package is okay
Good place to get your "feet wet" in learning Pipeline and/or E&P.

Cons

Diversity is not a big topic (minorities and women seem to be a non-issue)
Promotions are scarce unless you belong to a clique' of managers
Certain managers spend after hours with young recruits in bars and sporting events
Certain managers are disrepectful to individuals if you don't play the game.
Most managers are inexperienced rejects from other oil and gas companies, some will even pretend to fake their actual skills and qualifications to yield some authority.
Dumping ground on people who are hardworkers; playground for lazy people.

Change some of the managers out and stop with the created "layers" of management. There are 3-4 managers for one team (SCM in particular).

Other Reviews for El Paso

Great!

Former Employee - Project Management Intern  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Management Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at El Paso

Pros

I loved working at El Paso. I got to see all phases of project management and was given the freedom to start projects due for the next year. Everyone is very approachable and doesn't mind answering questions. I learned more in those few months than I ever thought I would. They love to teach. It was a great experience. I left because I had another summer before graduation and wanted to try out another company.

Cons

- In project management you travel a lot so you must be okay with that.
    - When hired on from college you go through a rotation system for 18 months to learn 3 different phases of pipeline (different if you are a PE, I'm an ME) even if you already did internships. Seems like a waste if you know you like one segment.
    - Coffee is terrible! Thank god you can go into the tunnels and get some good stuff. Haha

Great company, professional environment, employee experience varies by department, average compensation.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at El Paso

Pros

Great people, stable company, good benefits, responsible company, strong down to earth leadership, employees are appreciated, meaningful work, and great culture. Our values are: the place to work, the neighbor to have, the company to own. Although not perfect, we do very well.

Cons

In return for the stability the compensation is not quite as competitive as other energy companies. Many employees where transferred from Colorado Springs to Houston, which most people viewed as a drop in quality of life.

There are newer employer reviews for El Paso.

Worked for El Paso? Contribute to the Community!