good place to work

Former Employee - Intern in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at El Paso

Pros

The size is decent, not too big or too small. People are friendly. Interns can get really involved in real projects.

Cons

The first day can be a little disorganized. It will be better if the internship can be a little bit longer.

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed the leadership unplug. In general it is a really well organized internship program. The final presentation is a great challenge. The hiring process is a little slow.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good company culture

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at El Paso

Pros

Some very sharp people in the company who make collaborating with them fun as they really know their jobs well - many long time employees.
    Excellent company culture starting at the top with CEO Doug Foshee and filters down thru senior VPs and Managers. They don't just talk about giving back to the community, they really push their people to volunteer and make it easy. Also, in an industry not known for caring about the environment, they are tying to be responsible and look toward where regulations are going rather than just what is required currently. Small things that translate to a culture where people do enjoy working there.
    Regarding opportunity, the company tries to reward peak performers. The reorganization fall 2009 (Project Insight) put some well-needed systems in place that were lacking and promoted some deserving people, in general with some exceptions Of course like anywhere else it depends if you get noticed, and that is the challenge.

Cons

As an operating company will tend to do, they are in their own bubble at times, so they seem to give credence to work experience specific to their industry only, so people like me with significant experience outside of a natural gas operating company prior to El Paso have to fight to get recognized.
    Some legacy small-mindedness they are attempting to get rid of and are starting to act like a "grown-up" company; however at times the company displays the "cowboy" mentality that seems to dominate smaller oil and gas operating companies.
    The Pipeline side appears to be promoting those from the BHM office at an unbalanced rate - too many "southerners" in high level positions across the Pipeline group who carry a certain "good 'ol boy" mentality at times whether they realize it or not.
    VP Engineering for Pipeline group had no engineering experience and was promoted because he's the "pet" of the President, Jim Yardley - has caused and will continue to cause some personnel issues. He is business savvy but possesses zero people skills and has no credibility when it comes to the technical nature of the job. It remains to be seen if he will do well or no and if the company loses some good people because of it. His promotion was not consistent with company culture in my mind.
    The company needs to push more involvement in professional societies so as to be more knowledgeable of industry best-practices, across the board in many departments. Also, be more open to people from outside the legacy who have significant industry experience and be open to learning how experts outside the company do things.
    HR people are the worst I've ever seen in a company this size, from the people that dealt with me when I was hired, to the reps I contact now. I have no real issues, but if I did, my confidence in their abilities is low.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work but be mindful of gaps. Recognize it is healthy to bring in people from outside for certain job functions who know industry best-practices (Eng, HR, etc.)

Upper Management and Mid mgmt is slowly turning the curve

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at El Paso

Pros

Company is making strides in changing to become an execution focused company. New management at various levels are pushing the change through in a deliberate manner to adjust for the overall organization's aversion to change. On the upswing.

Cons

Lower to mid level management is stuck in their ways and must be forced to make changes. No apparent driving force for change besides executive management. Quality of employees generally lower based on their willingness to pay quality candidates. The "yes people" get the promotions despite lack of results.

Advice to Management

Hire good people and not the 4th or 5th candidate based on your "bands".....Retain good people by showing them where it counts....Train the folks who are lacking; if that does not work, cut bait and find more willingful people.