Changing the way the world works

Current Employee - Director  in  Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Elance has a noble mission - to connect businesses and entrepreneurs with freelance talent from anywhere in the world. This is a barrier reduction and facilitates global trade on a mass scale. This empowers people all around the world, yes including people in the U.S., to be a business of one. Ultimately, the platforms like Elance increase competition in the labor markets, which is good for society in the long run. Many companies say they are trying to change the world, but Elance really is changing the world. Like other people have said, the environment is very laid back, which can be a challenge to anyone who is ambitious and has a lot of ideas to improve the business.

Cons

Not many cons, other than the company has so much promise and doesn't move fast enough considering it's relatively small size. Tons of niche labor marketplaces are coming online now to challenge Elance and their main competitor as a result. There isn't much of a risk taking mentality at the company, which hinder it's chances from reaching an exit. Ideas are often looked upon as a challenge to senior management authority

Your platform inspires entrepreneurs around the world - you should build some of that inspiration and entrepreneurial spirit into the company culture/DNA - it will unleash the creativity of your employees.

Other Reviews for Elance

Inspiring vision. Even better place to work

Current Employee - Manager  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elance full-time

Pros

There are a lot of them: Work from home every other week. The hiring of freelancers is encouraged. Everyone in the company is passionate about the vision. Senior management seems to care a great deal about everyone at the company.

Cons

Working in Mountain View is not as fun as working in San Francisco, particularly if you have to commute

Keep bringing in new talent and keep listening to their ideas.

Great company filled with innovative people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elance full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love what Elance stands for, bringing career opportunities to people around the world in a matter of seconds. As a recent graduate student, the Senior Managers have really challenged me in all possible directions. They have pushed me out of my comfort zone and let me do things they know I could achieve. I have been with the company very shortly, but I have learned a great deal about the business and how to succeed in it. Not only is the company great, but so are the people. People at Elance really strive to do their best every day because customer satisfaction is our number one priority. Overall, Elance is a fast-paced environment filled with dedicated people that are eager to learn and contribute to a growing industry.

Cons

The only negative thing I would have to say is the long commute. My travel time to and from work is at least an hour each way. The company does offer work from home days every other week to help those that do have a long commute.

There are newer employer reviews for Elance.

Worked for Elance? Contribute to the Community!