Election Systems & Software

www.essvote.com
  www.essvote.com
There are newer employer reviews for Election Systems & Software

Good pay, but no advancement opportunities.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rockford, IL
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rockford, IL

I worked at Election Systems & Software

Pros

Very good pay. Easy going work environment; that is it is not regimental. Good R&D funding for development tools. Excellent office spaces.

Cons

Products are arcane, and company deliberately stifels innovation to reduce re-certification costs; have been told NOT to fix bugs because the change will cause another certification cycle. No room for advancement. Company tends to hire from outside rather than promote from within. Does not respect seniority at all; layoffs by mid-managers tend to be used to get rid of peole thay don't like personally rather than less qualified and less time on the job. Too much nepotism. No profit sharing. Don't be come to proprietary; you might be out the door on a moments notice.

Stop hiring mid-level managers from outside the company. Company needs to reduce nepotism and cronyism. Many new hires come from the same company. Establish a profit sharing program. No. He operates in a vacuum, and has been growing the company by buying smaller companies rather than developing from within. Typically have ended up with inferior additional products that usually have bugs or technical faults.

7 Other Employee Reviews for Election Systems & Software (View Most Recent)

Good

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Omaha, NE

I worked at Election Systems & Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, great co-workers, ability to give opinion

Cons

all male management - hard for women to advance to C or E level

A strange place to work.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Election Systems & Software as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked with a few talented developers but the good ones didn't stay long.

This would be a good place for a new developer to learn at and then leave.

ESS is located in Omaha, NE which has a thriving tech industry so finding better opportunities doesn't take long.

Cons

This was a strange place to work. Communication between employees and departments was definitely an issue. There seemed to be a new disaster each day that resulted in long hours and people running around panicked. Deadlines seemed to be set by when someone wanted something done and not based on what needed to be accomplished, number of resources, etc.

As a contractor I don't pay attention to company politics, this gives me the luxury of being brutally honest with the client. I was hired for my expertise in a specific area of technology. After roughly two weeks I wrote up an assessment of the project for my manager. My manager was a good guy and understood the issues but he was also a new employee and didn't want to rock the boat.

The lead on the project was in over his head and the team had a code to the lowest common denominator. If he didn't understand how something worked, like reflection, we didn't use it. This was an important project given the circumstances, probably worth millions of dollars and it was shocking to see it sink because of a lack of experience. For a greenfield project the code was a mess and SOLID principals were tossed out the door. This was the first time I've ever "fired" a client. I learned that another developer on the team left a week or so later.

I'm an expert in my area and not really qualified to tell ESS how to fix their problems. I'd look around at the companies you're losing talented people too and start there.

There are newer employer reviews for Election Systems & Software