Electric Insurance

www.electricinsurance.com
There are newer employer reviews for Electric Insurance

Old-school loyalty doesn't exist.

Current Employee - Mid-level Insurance Serf in Beverly, MA
Current Employee - Mid-level Insurance Serf in Beverly, MA

I have been working at Electric Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Electric Insurance is great if you're starting off from college. They will provide paid-training for three weeks, pay your licensing tests, and to upkeep your state licenses. The training is decent, healthcare is decent enough (Use to be a lot better when we had Blue Cross, Blue Shield but now we have Aetna), and what's great is after five years you get four weeks paid vacation. This works well if you can get out of the contact center and into another department such as Pricing, Agency Services, and Claims. Electric Insurance is rated one of the best in Claims. The Claims' VP is amazing and it's like working for a different company.

Cons

When I joined Electric Insurance I was given their pension plan which is pretty nice. Electric Insurance stopped offering pension plans for future employees in 2010 (I believe). Now there is 401K and Heath care.

There is a high turnover rate, especially in the customer service department. When I was hired I had three different departments to choose from: Claims, Sales, or Customer Service. Now you start Customer Service. Period. The salary band in Customer Service is the lowest out of Sales and Claims, so everyone knows now Customer Service is a foot in the door and you move within the company to actually get a better salary, better position, and better work environment. Due to the high turnover rate in the contact center, actual people who know Customer Service don't exist because they left to move upwards in the company or got out to other insurance companies. So there is a massive brain drain in the customer service department. Other departments look down on customer service which isn't flattering. The senior micro-management of the contact center is the antithesis of the claims management.

There is obvious favoritism when a person or persons get promoted because your manager likes you without any relevance to a job-well-done or even appropriate credentials for the position. When there are employees with better qualifications and more tenure but are passed up when a newcomer comes in and is promoted. It becomes quickly apparent that said person should not be in the a position of authority, because he/she are not ready, does not have the insurance knowledge, professional experience, and the maturity level to handle the leadership role. Moreover, there is a power trip with those immature leaders and managers who are promoted prematurely, especially towards their subordinates who have more knowledge and or experience.

I've seen colleagues fired over trivial reasons or yelled at for trivial reasons. A fellow co-worker was bullied into quitting because said person was uncomfortable in being pushed by senior management to be unethical about a policy. Another co-worker was fired because Electric Insurance measures you on numbers instead of actual customer service (this is beginning Insurance Account Specialist). Person was having health issues due to all the stress of being written up because said numbers weren't high enough. Person took a sick day (which we are allotted) and that gave senior management to fire said person. Despicable.

It is also apparent that senior management's lack of insurance knowledge has surprised me numerous times. My colleagues and I seem to know more than managers.

Disclaimer: I have had good managers but they are few and far between.

Also if you want to obtain the professional insurance certifications...it doesn't help in moving you up necessarily in your career at Electric Insurance. It isn't automatic raises or promotions. A manager with power has to like you. So again heavy favoritism. Therefore, this squelches the drive for personal improvement in your professional career based upon your own initiative.

There is more work load than the hours you have to work in a day. Management does NOT like to give overtime even when one needs it. Overtime is heavily discouraged. This is where one is already set up for failure. If you can't get the work done, then you'll be written up or fired or all of the above. If you ask for help or let management know your work load is too much they'll look at you like you're an idiot, write you up, and then fire you...or if management is having a good day...there will be a mental note of your incompetence so moving up within the company is shot to pieces.

There is inside gossip and I've noticed people can hold grudges. Careful what you say, and or comments in passing that is construed in anyway negative or joking. It'll spread like wildfire. Furthermore, don't ask questions of clarification from managers or senior managers even if they are relevant, because it becomes quickly apparent they don't like to be questioned, especially when they realize they didn't think it through with their genius ideas or implementation. They want their annual bonuses while we, the serfs, have to figure out the details and make the managers look pretty.

Finally there is obvious gender discrimination, especially in the contact center where one's gender supersedes importance than actual insurance knowledge. Women seem to do better at Electric Insurance and are given a lot more get-out-of-jail free cards and excuses because management roles currently have more females than males in place. I am glad to see women leaders and or promoted when they are the best candidate for the job. I would like there to be no gender bias and for the males to be treated equally.

H.R. needs to get out of department manager's back pockets, especially customer service. They need to be a separate entity where employees can feel comfortable in expressing constructive complaints without fear of reprisal from managers. H.R. personnel have become spies for the department managers in the company. This is not H.R.'s role. H.R. should care about employees' well-being and be the advocate for the employees to managers. H.R. must become autonomous from management in order to maintain integrity and hold managers accountable to the company code of ethics.

Award those who provide excellent service and promote actual people who have the skills and talents without any form of discrimination. Management needs to care more and really level the playing field in salary (especially in Customer Service) and benefits with all the other departments so there isn't a brain drain. Stop playing favoritism. Start caring about your employees instead of seeing us as numbers and as expendable.

26 Other Employee Reviews for Electric Insurance (View Most Recent)

EIC review

I have been working at Electric Insurance full-time

Pros

everything is very good. keep it up

Cons

keep it up. everything is very good.

everything is very good. keep it up

Sales Consultant

Current Employee - New Policy Sales Consultant in Beverly, MA
    Current Employee - New Policy Sales Consultant in Beverly, MA

I have been working at Electric Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people
    Good cafeteria
    Managers willing to work with you

Cons

large turnover in sales and customer service
    upper and middle management do not seem to be on the same page
    unrealistic goals
    cut throat environment with low salary = low motivation

Increase pay to what is more standard in the industry

There are newer employer reviews for Electric Insurance