There are newer employer reviews for Electro-Motive

Best "Slice of Life" Internship

Former Intern - Engineering Intern - Engine Systems in La Grange, IL
Former Intern - Engineering Intern - Engine Systems in La Grange, IL

I worked at Electro-Motive as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Worked on many projects; friendly, helpful colleagues; worked with locomotives; received a mentor; good perspective on engineering as an occupation

Cons

Sometimes there was lack of direction; had to overcome boredom some days; other interns were less motivated than me

Hot lunches in the headquarters building; more direction for interns; more company events; continue to partner new hires and interns with mentors to show them the ropes and to have a safe person to ask "dumb" questions to

reviews filtered by

It was the most demeaning and disheartening experience of my life.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McCook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McCook, IL

I worked at Electro-Motive full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation for production related positions.

Cons

Upper management is disconnected - the lie about their values and integrity. It is just words they spew out, while stabbing everyone in the back. This company literally does not care if you die from working so much as long as they get the job done. Middle management plays favorites. Women are treated like dogs. I would not work at EMD if you are a woman - they shove work at you and then make demeaning comments. I never knew anyone who was happy working there. They investigate you after you quit and encourage people to drink the kool-air by offering up negative stories about how you conducted yourself.

Communicate, take a class in life values, don't screw people over, appreciate your good workers, take a look at your family - do you care about them? Well, you're employees care about their families too, so give them some time with them. Reward good workers with more than a hot dog once a year.

can be so much better if Caterpillar didn't run things.

Former Employee - Electrical Locker Assembler in Lagrange Hlds, IL
    Former Employee - Electrical Locker Assembler in Lagrange Hlds, IL

I worked at Electro-Motive full-time (more than a year)

Pros

union, lots of work, good people to work with, tons of advancement opportunities.

Cons

owned by Caterpillar, management is clueless, forced overtime (have to work it or you get points that get you fired) bad union reps who are purchased by the company to bust the union up.

what can i say we are a union workforce owned by the biggest anti-union labor out there...Caterpiller. they will shut the entire business down and destroy many people's lifes and family for no reason other than the simple fact that EMD is unionized and they hate unions. Management is instructed to bust up the union anyway or shape possible even if it means closing down the plant in IL and moving it to Indiana where they dont have a union.

There are newer employer reviews for Electro-Motive