Electronic Arts

www.ea.com
There are newer employer reviews for Electronic Arts

The best game job to learn good game development processes

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts

Pros

I work for Pogo, a division within Electronic Arts, and it is the most professional game company I have ever worked in. Particularly of note is the fact that they take careful measures to introduce processes to gauge and track project progress. They are extremely quick to adjust to schedule needs by providing additional resources, pushing back the schedule, or dropping features, and never consider overworking the employee as an option, even if it is in our nature to work harder as the typical crunch approaches. The work life balance is phenomenal, and I have never had better managers running our groups.

Cons

Pogo is production driven and focused on profit, which is clearly good. However, they are unfortunately extreme in that end and will play the conservative card far too much for my taste, resorting to requiring careful justification for any project that does not obvious return revenue. Certainly there is a point where you have to put some faith in your staff that a project is a good investment, even if that investment cannot be quantified in number of titles sold. This rigidity results in an inability to determine just how much less money-oriented projects can help other projects across the board. Unable to exactly quantify how much we lose on each of 15 projects because we don't implement one to shave time off them ends up in tossing the one project in the bin and having everything done less efficiency with no investment of time on proper tools, for instance.

Promote your employees to the titles they deserve.

851 Other Employee Reviews for Electronic Arts (View Most Recent)

Ignore the politics & senior management that can ruin your game, and EA is an incredibly fun place to work.

Current Employee - Game Designer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Electronic Arts

Pros

EA offers so much when it comes to benefits and stability - especially in a volatile marketplace like today. Even with an impending 10% layoff, there is always a group of hangers-on that seems to be skating by at EA so that won't negatively impact the stability of the company IMO. No other company can touch the benefits packages of vision, health, dental, etc as well as stock purchase plans, 401k, and the like.

There are also some of the brightest people out there hands-down to work with. EA is so massive and has so many ways to share knowledge...it's quite impressive.

Cons

Politics tend to be the most frustrating part of working at EA. There are quite a few people that have been in the same job for a long long time. Regardless of their skill and track record (i.e. multiple failures in games...driving franchises into cancellation or worse scores), they tend to have a massive amount of control and power over everything from the game design (eek!) to promotions.

There is also a bit of weird structure stuff going on - tons of middle managers, tons of inefficient central teams, and tons of people that tend to get in the get in the way of progress instead of caring about the one ultimate thing we should all be here for - making great games.

- Trim down the teams to core competencies - get rid of extra processes, central teams, & out-of-the-loop middle management.
    - Get closer to the games...just because the sales go up doesn't mean designers and managers are necessarily doing a good job...it could mean marketing is doing the good job!
    - Take a risk on a new IP that's designed by the design team instead of by EP's!

Keep up the good work!

I worked at Electronic Arts

Pros

Getting to work with the worlds largest publisher provides the opportunity to work on very large projects using the worlds best known properties. Lots of room for professional growth and learning. The people involved are top notch and being able to merge the creative spirit of Hollywood with the technological innovation of the Internet age is very exciting.

Cons

Being part of such a large corporation can render you faceless and the deadlines can be challenging. The needs of such a large organization also make it difficult to experiment with less proven, innovative game ideas.

Don't burn out the teams at the end of projects. This trend drives out those employees with significant experience leaving a gap in the middle management tiers.

There are newer employer reviews for Electronic Arts