Electronic Arts
www.ea.com Redwood City, CA 5000+ Employees

Like a frog sitting in a pot of heating water.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat history and traditions for making big titles and games with emotion and intelligence. Some very qualified and thought driving people who truly reside on the cutting edge of where gaming is going. If you love gaming, part of the reason is because of an EA title.

ConsMany times it was the Titanic heading towards the iceberg and management interested in deck chair arrangement. Not enough manager level and above employees were gamers. Heavy politicking occurred as a result of too many hires squabbling over too few responsibilities and the invention of "work". When a project has high visibility and high chance of success, it was slowed and bogged down by too many people trying to get their name attached to it. If a project is explosively innovative - everyone tried to get in the way. Rested on laurels too long - the world of gaming startups is outmaneuvering them. Once a proud and powerful whale, being devoured by faster, agile sharks.

The best way to get hired at EA is through acquisition.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck if people you hire actually play games- you hurt your brand, your customer relationships, your salesmanship, your credibility the less your employees know about what games are actually out there. How can you expect to compete against other large publishers if your FTE's don't know anything about gaming culture?

Your managers manage by fear.

You don't need 3 levels of directors.

Pay is dismal compared to your competition - again, you're leaning on people loving EA to make up for it. But your culture does not reflect that at all.

When you claim to have an open door policy, actually allow people to talk to you without barriers.

Culture is eroded and degraded from poor hiring practices and cronyism.

And #1 - don't use the contractor pool like an expendable, never ending resource. The reason why nothing gets done is that those that stay / want to stay are best at being political and squeezing the contractors out, not the most innovative, risk taking, qualified gamers. Your social capital is at an end.

"Challenge Everything" has turned to "Change Nothing and Outsource Everything"

Product Manager (Former Employee)
Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: EA has always attracted some of the most brilliant designers, engineers and artists. The teams I worked with featured people with Masters degrees and Phd's… Cons: Firstly, regardless of CEO pitches, there has been a de-emphasis on process and product quality. Support disciplines like quality assurance and technical support have been… Advice to Senior Management: I understand sometimes decisions need to be made quickly, with less than complete information and not everything can be left to a group vote. But… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Much improved since the EA Spouse days

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than a year

Pros: Fair compensation, bonuses, and stock incentives Interesting technologies to work with Some very cool projects to work… Cons: Frequent changes in direction, one of the downsides of working for… Advice to Senior Management: Pick a direction and stick with it to completion Focus more… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Electronic Arts.

Worked for Electronic Arts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Electronic Arts reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson. All reviews posted anonymously by Electronic Arts employees.