Electronic Arts

www.ea.com
  www.ea.com
There are newer employer reviews for Electronic Arts

Come out of the ivory tower

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts

Pros

The corporate culture encourages open thinking, honesty and integrity. At the same time the people encourage me to come back day in and day out. The dynamic, fast paced environment esures that people stay on their toes.

Cons

The fast paced environment doesn't mesh with people who are set in their ways and in some cases, EA has changed faster than individuals have developed. This rub causes a consesus driven environment which requires everyone's buy in for some areas and in others changes are made with little notice to the employees. The employees that are resistant to change need to be eliminated. Also there is always a sense of budget constraints which looms over the entire organization. Also a lack of big picture focus means that teams are moving in different directions.

IT needs reorg to put simple, but efficient processes in place for project management, too many consultants and PMs, not enough in house technical staff who can "do" the coding

832 Other Employee Reviews for Electronic Arts (View Most Recent)

Great place to work if you're willing to put in the work.

Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Orlando, FL

I worked at Electronic Arts

Pros

Electronic Arts is a very creative environment. Knowledge sharing is imbued into the corporate culture which results in studios from around the world contributing new techniques and technologies to a central knowledge base.

Cons

Long hours at times. Despite the fact that they have a pretty poor public reputation for this, they do care about keeping number of hours down. It's just that unfortunately, they always seem to get into a position where the project is late, there are technical challenges, and then here comes the crunch time.

Invest in project management techniques. I don't know what the answer is, but the current mode of operation isn't working so well.

Professional work for the kid in you.

Current Employee - Software Engineer III
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III

I have been working at Electronic Arts

Pros

The people are fantastic to work with. Because EA is in the business of making games you get all walks of life. As an engineer I find it very enjoyable working with artist, game designers, and professional management types because it gives me a bit more perspective on our industry in general. Typically us "geeks" get very engrossed in the Tech side of things and a place like EA lets you come out of your shell a bit more. Also you are making a games which does add to the atmosphere of "fun". I have worked for other big companies and I feel that EA compensates well and they are trying to change as we the workers are aging (more time with family, etc). Last I would say as a "gamer" getting free EA games and having the Library where I can check out moves and games for free is a big plus.

Cons

The hours can be a bit "crunchy" sometime. Also these games are big money produces these days and this adds additional stress to make sure everything comes out on time.

Just keep a constant open dialog with people. Sometimes it is very easy to fall into the "my door is always open" type of thing but I feel a good manager should also feel like "the employees door is always open" too and just swing by and shoot the breeze with people. This way your even your lowest employee feels like that can be open about things they see as wrong ... instead of just handing you their 2 weeks notice.

There are newer employer reviews for Electronic Arts