Electronic Arts

www.ea.com
  www.ea.com
There are newer employer reviews for Electronic Arts

Great place to work if you love gaming

Current Employee - Development Director II in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Development Director II in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, very talented and fun to work with.
Good work life balance
Lots of opportunity for career advancement if you work long and hard enough
Lots of opportunity to move around internally if you are willing to relocate

Cons

It is the game industry, can be very unstable

I think they are doing the best they can given the industry ups and downs and twists and turns.

832 Other Employee Reviews for Electronic Arts (View Most Recent)

Boring, unchallenging internship.

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Nice campus.
    - Weekly barbecue on campus, but not free.
    - Nice goodies and welcome gifts for new interns.
    - Free shuttles from/to San Carlos Station.

Cons

- Little to entirely no attention for interns.
    - My biggest challenge was to stay awake! I'm not kidding, I had to come up with my own tasks and methods to stay awake. I *fell asleep* several times because of the unprecedented boredom. Insistence to get real and more assignments did not prove useful.
    - Very slow-paced and boring environment.

To be fair, the other interns seemed like they had good time, but they were young college kids and it seemed like they were only in it for the fun. It was all about silly and immature pranks. I would hear constant loud laughters and noises when they were playing in the office - it literally felt like high-school. However, I personally was extremely disappointed, I thought I was getting access to one of the most advanced software development practices in the industry -- given the name of the company, but I was instead thrown into a corner cubicle (the cube area was large and comfortable though) and had little to no human interaction in most days. Complaining about the lack of assignments was not taken seriously.

Do not think of interns as just young kids who are there to entertain and be entertained. Also an advice to EA Academy or EA University Relations, instead of organizing all these campus events for interns, encourage managers to give interns real and challenging tasks that are part of what you do so they can get back to their university feeling proud of the contributions they made and become more attached to the company.

Amazing People. Lack of Innovation. Management Issues.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's all about the people you work with. It's a big company, but I can genuinely say that during my career at EA, I've really only met 2 people who weren't genuinely kind, collaborative, and great to work with - even if we don't always agree about work issues.

Cons

EA started as a small software company and then cobbled together studios to form a huge company - this could go 1 of 2 ways - a strong central org empowering creative in the studios... or a disorganized central org that just sucks the creativity out of everything it touches. I'll let you guess which one we tend to be. Emphasis tends to be on technology, change, and other buzz words instead of fun and innovation.

Encourage your teams to make cool, FUN games. It doesn't matter how pretty they look if no one wants to play them. Invest in your studios but make them focus on what they do best -- don't let them get too confident that they start over stretching. You have an entire company of people meant to support the work they do -- they don't need to do everyone else's job... just make great games (that work). Oh... and I really recommend changing the EA values so that career success isn't so dependent upon the will of the employee. You lose a lot of great people because you don't develop employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Electronic Arts