There are newer employer reviews for Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts is a company with a great pedigree, great talent, and an extremely weak executive team.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation, access to great intellectual property. Very smart developers, and great industry networking opportunities.

Cons

A weak executive management team that is incentivized by the quarter, not long-term growth and strategy.

Advice to the board - can the entire executive team and replace with competent outsiders. I'm talking to you Larry... Replacing JR with the green Aussie was uninspired.

806 Other Employee Reviews for Electronic Arts (View Most Recent)

Boring, unchallenging internship.

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Nice campus.
    - Weekly barbecue on campus, but not free.
    - Nice goodies and welcome gifts for new interns.
    - Free shuttles from/to San Carlos Station.

Cons

- Little to entirely no attention for interns.
    - My biggest challenge was to stay awake! I'm not kidding, I had to come up with my own tasks and methods to stay awake. I *fell asleep* several times because of the unprecedented boredom. Insistence to get real and more assignments did not prove useful.
    - Very slow-paced and boring environment.

To be fair, the other interns seemed like they had good time, but they were young college kids and it seemed like they were only in it for the fun. It was all about silly and immature pranks. I would hear constant loud laughters and noises when they were playing in the office - it literally felt like high-school. However, I personally was extremely disappointed, I thought I was getting access to one of the most advanced software development practices in the industry -- given the name of the company, but I was instead thrown into a corner cubicle (the cube area was large and comfortable though) and had little to no human interaction in most days. Complaining about the lack of assignments was not taken seriously.

Do not think of interns as just young kids who are there to entertain and be entertained. Also an advice to EA Academy or EA University Relations, instead of organizing all these campus events for interns, encourage managers to give interns real and challenging tasks that are part of what you do so they can get back to their university feeling proud of the contributions they made and become more attached to the company.

Challenging but Fun Company to Work For

I worked at Electronic Arts (more than an year)

Pros

1. The company makes video games, not chemical weapons, so at the end of the day, the core foundation of the work is about entrainment and is fun. 2. The people are sharp, funny, and hardworking. 3. If you like technology and computers this company has a ton of it. 4. Lots of free food, parties, and fun ways to relax (ie. game rooms, gaming events, etc.)

Cons

1. Insane corporate higher-achy that makes for high friction decision making. Getting a creative question answered could involve input from a manager, a director, a vp, a SVP, and CEO just to get a yes or no. 2. People manage up, so if you are on the lower 50% prepare for some (usually mild) mental abuse. 3. Insane hours at crunch times, we are talking 2-3 days without leaving the office, sleeping under your desk kind of crunch times.

Right now your company is loosing some of it's absolute best employees because of the way many managers, vp's, svp's and higher all manage up. The better job you THINK the people reporting into you are doing, the more suffering their direct reports are enduring. Your creative & technological intellectual property is great, but without the people who created it the company can't survive.

There are newer employer reviews for Electronic Arts