Electronic Arts

EA is OK

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts

Pros

There's a very talented pool of people across all disciplines. I have been at other companies where only the engineers are respected and treated well.

Cons

Work-life balance is getting better but still continues to be a challenge at EA.

Focus on quality. EA needs to bring up its reputation in the eyes of consumers.

831 Other Employee Reviews for Electronic Arts (View Most Recent)

Don't work for EA until employees start to matter more

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Electronic Arts

Pros

Brillant subject-matter experts are all over the place. Tiburon does a great job of finding talent, but keeping them is a problem. The location is great.. right next to I-4 and across from the RDV Sportsplex. Employee discounts in the company store cannot be beat. Senior Management is very well intentioned, but sometimes falls short when it comes to trickling down initiatives. The studio is very involved in the community and they welcome family and visitors in house for tours. There is a casual attire working environment, which is always nice. The facility is also very well kept and always clean.

Cons

There is an extremely high turn-over rate. There are always way too many managers for every little thing. The sad thing is, the managers are always speaking FOR everyone else, but most of them really don't have a good grasp on the situation... they tend to leave out the Subject Matter Experts. Plus, Managers are really bad about having meetings ABOUT you and not WITH you. So, essentially, a manager can lie on an employee and the employee finds themself trying to recover from an issue that they didn't even know existed.

In general, individual contributors are not listened to. There is no Ethics Office (voice of the employee), only HR Dept (voice of the company) and, trust me... HR is not there for the individual employee (at all).

Listen to indiviual contributors more
    Create an Ethics Office
    Have an external company do an independent evaluation of high turn-over rate and employee satisfaction

Teaches great work ethic, but can burn you out. Career development leadership could improve,

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts

Pros

It is a great place to learn how to get the job done - being late with a product is not acceptable, and EA instills a great work ethic to make it happen.

The benefits package is also very good; ESPP, 401K, health, dental, vision are all very good plans.

Cons

The downside to instilling a great work ethic is that teams work their butt off, sometimes unnecessarily. It creates resentment between development teams and their management, and off course, a lot of stress.

My biggest complaint about EA was that I had no interest in truly moving into a leadership position because I didn't believe in the mid level management's own leadership. It took me to leave and move to another company before I felt I could shine.

Senior management does a good job at ensuring that EA is competitive and makes good enough games to deliver profits for shareholders. However, their marketshare and success has started to erode, mostly due to their shrinking talent pool. In the games industry, a company's moat is largely dependent on the ability to keep the best talent, and I think that EA's management should focus on that for future success.

There are newer employer reviews for Electronic Arts