There are newer employer reviews for Electronic Data Systems

Once a great place.

Former Employee - No Longer in Rockville, MD
Former Employee - No Longer in Rockville, MD

I worked at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

EDS has a great rank and file employees who are dedicated to the job. It had the potential to be a great company.

Cons

EDS management is out of touch with their employees and makes knee jerk reactions in workforce reductions. This often leaves a few "good" employees having to carry much more responsibility than will occupy a 40 hour week. There is no transparency in management and in some cases, no visible management chain. Local management stays isolated in their offices.

Advice to Management

Upper management is seen as greedy and taking everything they can prior to their exit. There is no clear goal to create a great lasting organization where people are proud to work there.

reviews filtered by
  1. Be prepared for major upheaval within the company.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

The people are very knowlegeable and great to work with. My salary and benefits are pretty good even though salary and bonuses have been frozen for those of us doing the work (not management or sales).

Cons

Too many levels of management, management who do not know what their people do and do not appreciate the amount of work that they do. The expectation that every time someone is let go, someone else will pick it up -- and we usually do. Most of us are working much more than 40 hours a week. There is also the "forced" commutes now that they are closing buildings adding quite a bit of travel time and the thinking that because we are "leveraged" teams we all have to sit together - lack of recognition of our ability to work remotely even though we are a global company with global teams and customers.
    It cost around 100 million dollars for the top people to leave EDS when HP bought us and promptly announced that 24,000 people would be let go. And though this isn't just an EDS/HP problem, the amount of money that the top people make are way out of line with what the people doing the daily work make.
    Best shore is a concept that all are using but seems like a slap at those of us in the US - we have the talent and the expertise but that is no longer valued because we "make too much money".
    There is constant pink slipping of employees - morale is very low as you are constantly waiting for the tap on the shoulder telling you that you are no longer wanted. And the new compensation package is a joke - they keep you "working" for 60 days but take away all of your equipment and put the word out to other managers that if you are on the "list" they cannot hire you. And if you happen to find another position outside of the company in that 60 day period, they consider you have "quit" and refuse to pay you the rest of the compensation package. That is very unfair to those who have been let go.

Advice to Management

Relook at the compensation package and at the layers of management. Actually listen to your workers - they really do know what the customer needs and are more than willing to do what it takes to make the contracts work.

2. I outgrew it and dislike it, but others stay there their entire careers.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seaside, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seaside, CA

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

If you like job security, EDS at a government account is for you. They don't like to move people around - rather, you'll get shoved into a specialization and if you show aptitude for it, you'll become THE expert, and you'll never be allowed to move because you are too valuable. It's steady, paced work. Never too fast, never uncertain.

Cons

Work becomes uninteresting. They aren't as interested in true quality of software products, obviously, because they don't recognize really good employees who do a lot of high quality work. It's normal for young, motivated, skilled and talented individuals to show up for less than a year and then move on to something better in the Bay Area.

Advice to Management

When you lay people off, don't lay off key personnel whose work is integral to the government contract, even if you're looking to "eliminate positions" to "make things more efficient" because you'll be shooting yourselves in the foot. Again. Also, try recognizing the smart, talented, hardworking types more. Don't stifle their interest by keeping them locked into a single project. And give bonuses once in awhile, since you're stiffing on salary!

There are newer employer reviews for Electronic Data Systems