There are newer employer reviews for Electronic Data Systems

Complete paralysis/incompetence of Senior leadership

Current Employee - Director
Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

EDS Pays well, and provides a terrific experience to learn an industry from top to bottom. Since there are significant gaps in competence, a strong performer can easily look like a star performer virtually overnight. The key is the ability to build upon that momentum and crystallize it around advancement, which is tougher to do.

Cons

Executive leadership is nothing short of incompetent. Leaders are rewarded on their ability to manage expectations up the chain, and active politicking is rewarded. Challenging the status quo is frowned upon and looked as a threat to the establishment. Career employees have made a living out of managing the next group of executive leaders that come through the door. NO ONE is held to any objective measure of performance across the organization, from Senior VP down to individual contributors. Delay, deflect, and blame have become the mantra of a once proud company.

Break the back of the senior leaders, and promote the talent that exists within the organization. There is skill and talent that wants to succeed. However, they are held out of the critical leadership positions, while the same leaders just recycle through different roles/titles.

reviews filtered by
  1. EDS (an HP company) is a good place to work for IT professionals

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

EDS is a good company for someone with a technical background in the information technology field. You will learn and growth technically on areas that will make you more marketable in your profession and career path.

Cons

Like most large companies, EDS is very bureacratic with multiple layers of management chain and processes. It has a very centralized decision making from the corporate office whereas managers at the client account level are not empowered or trusted to make business decisions.

I would recommend to the senior management at EDS to decentralize the decision making process on issues that should be managed at the account level.

2. Be prepared for major upheaval within the company.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

The people are very knowlegeable and great to work with. My salary and benefits are pretty good even though salary and bonuses have been frozen for those of us doing the work (not management or sales).

Cons

Too many levels of management, management who do not know what their people do and do not appreciate the amount of work that they do. The expectation that every time someone is let go, someone else will pick it up -- and we usually do. Most of us are working much more than 40 hours a week. There is also the "forced" commutes now that they are closing buildings adding quite a bit of travel time and the thinking that because we are "leveraged" teams we all have to sit together - lack of recognition of our ability to work remotely even though we are a global company with global teams and customers.
    It cost around 100 million dollars for the top people to leave EDS when HP bought us and promptly announced that 24,000 people would be let go. And though this isn't just an EDS/HP problem, the amount of money that the top people make are way out of line with what the people doing the daily work make.
    Best shore is a concept that all are using but seems like a slap at those of us in the US - we have the talent and the expertise but that is no longer valued because we "make too much money".
    There is constant pink slipping of employees - morale is very low as you are constantly waiting for the tap on the shoulder telling you that you are no longer wanted. And the new compensation package is a joke - they keep you "working" for 60 days but take away all of your equipment and put the word out to other managers that if you are on the "list" they cannot hire you. And if you happen to find another position outside of the company in that 60 day period, they consider you have "quit" and refuse to pay you the rest of the compensation package. That is very unfair to those who have been let go.

Relook at the compensation package and at the layers of management. Actually listen to your workers - they really do know what the customer needs and are more than willing to do what it takes to make the contracts work.

There are newer employer reviews for Electronic Data Systems