There are newer employer reviews for Electronic Data Systems

Avoid at all costs

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Detroit, MI
Current Employee - Project Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

EDS has some redeeming qualities:
VERY good work/life balance. I typically barely work 40hrs/wk. And honestly most of the day is not very intesne.
Pretty generous vacation policy: I got 3 weeks off as a new hire. Even better if you can get on the GM account, tons of bonus vacation days.
Workplace is not very competitve, If one cares at all and is remotely intelligent you can probably advance in your career.

Cons

Wow where to begin....

Piss poor compensation. And going down. Within the past month a 5% cut, then another 10%. Plus Salary Freezes.
Job cuts related to merger.
Management consistently disrespects and devalues the employees.

Would recommend this company to no one. Particularly new college graduates as the culture is very bad: everyone is 40-50 year old and boring.

Provide a decent work environment and show the employees some respect when it comes to compensation.

645 Other Employee Reviews for Electronic Data Systems (View Most Recent)

He was brought in for one reason, to spin off EDS.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Intelligent people, lots of career choices (finance, legal, HR, technology, sales, etc.), brand recognition, applicability of projects, great internal web sites, strong process set.

Cons

process heavy, slow moving, lack of entrepeneurial attitude and ability to execute, too much bureaucracy, a clients mess for less (taking on work no one else wants), re-inventing the wheel from one project to another.

Get back to being more of a family oriented company. Start caring about people. Look hard at talent and consider re-assignment or replacement of sluggish, non-productive workers regardless of billable targets.

EDS - Was Great to Work for, Will it be Again as Part of HP?

Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist  in  Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in Warren, MI

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

The technical people you will work with at EDS are some of the brightest and best anywhere. Team members are supportive of each other and will work hard to get the job done every day. Although they are challenging to find now, there are opportunities to grow within the company. A lot of people go from technical to management, but you do not need to that. You can stay technical throughout your career and be successful. Be advised, that it does get more challenging to do that as you advance.

There is a plethora of online training resources available within the company. So, if you are interested in learning something new, and are willing to invest your own time, there are lots of free resources available to you. Depending on your role, you may have opportunities to travel around the USA and the world, which is very cool!

Cons

Since the merger with HP in 2008, the environment has been in a state of flux. It is not clear how things will shake out for "legacy" EDS employees. I think that a lot of us have the feeling that we will be (or are being) treated like afterthoughts. The HP culture is different than the EDS culture, so it may be a few years before we "legacy" EDS employees truly think of ourselves as HP employees.

Currently, finding new positions within the company is almost impossible. If you have a job within HP/EDS now, you are probably stuck there for the forseeable future (12 to 18 months). All of the managers are hunkered down and not hiring new staff, because they are afraid they are going to be told to fire some of their current staff to cut costs. So, if you are planning to come work for HP/EDS, do not plan on advancing to something else for a while.

We all just had our salaries cut 5% and there is a freeze on raises and bonuses. So, don't expect more money anytime soon.

The relationship between EDS and some of its clients is downright hostile in some cases. Some of EDS' biggest customers (Bank of America and GM, for example) are facing huge financial problems of their own, so there is a tendency for them to try and squeeze every penny out of their vendors. There is also a weird disconnect between what you read in the industry magazines and what you will find at an individual performer level. The CIO of Company X may say that EDS is a great partner and has helped save us millions of dollars, blah, blah, blah. But on the inside, the CIO's minions are bullying and berating EDS on a daily basis.

Be prepared to support poorly worded contracts with ambiguous service level agreements that will have your manager pulling their hair out for the duration of the contract. It happens all the time.

EDS needs to learn how to write contracts that are not going to be fought over by lawyers defining what they really mean. EDS should stick to its guns on what is supported and what is not supported and make sure we get paid. EDS should have contracts reviewed by technical people who really understand the nuts and bolts of providing support and services, BEFORE they are consummated.

There are newer employer reviews for Electronic Data Systems

Worked for Electronic Data Systems? Contribute to the Community!