There are newer employer reviews for Electronic Data Systems

The company professes it is working to retain the best. NOT TRUE

Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Specialist ( I'm Actually A Computer Programmer)

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Paycheck, love of the actual work, regardless of the management...

Cons

People are now forced to do work below their worth and abilities due to all of the senseless layoffs and the need to back fill. The ever hanging black cloud of random senseless layoffs, especially for those of us that make more money than the new management being brought in. EDS appears to be content with mediocre vs "cream of the crop".

Advice to Management

Stop laying people off based on information provided in a spread sheet. Seriously look at the needs and the resources needed to fulfill those and future needs. Be respectful of the clients and the investors and start putting some intelligence into workforce decisions.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

EDS Is What You Make of It

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

It's a large corporation so the job opportunities are available to get a wide variety of knowledge. When I was looking for more finance experience, for example, my people care manager helped find an assignment that included budget forecasting and analysis, cost allocation, and global tax regulations. There are years of expertise and institutional memory within the employees of EDS. I led project teams comprised of employees who had worked for EDS for 20, 25, even 35 years. Here I was with 10 years in, and I was considered the "rookie!" EDS is the pioneer in IT service, and these folks who have been around for so long know what they are doing. One of the things I like about EDS is that it is pretty good about weeding out the lazy and incompetent folks. You didn't last more than a couple years if you couldn't pull your weight. Given the size of the company, I was impressed that so few lazy employees slid through the system (though there are definitely some that did, but that's anywhere!). Benefits are strong. Matching 401K plan, medical costs less than competitors, and it has a pension plan (though that may be eliminated once HP corporate standards are in place). And most managers are great about time off and flexible schedules when needed.

Cons

In recent years, job security has become more and more of an issue. It seems like there are workforce reductions twice a year over the last 5 years. This year, of course, it was more pronounced, but that had less to do with the economy and more to do with HP's acquisition of EDS. If you don't like potentially hopping from assignment to assignment, this may not be the place for you. Sure, some folks get on a client account (GM, American Airlines, federal government, etc.) and stay there for their career, but most of us move around from client to client based on the current needs. Especially as a project manager with the Project Management Delivery organization, you may be on a 6-month gig for a large client, then it ends, and you move to the next gig. You and your manager have to find another assignment for you to go on. There's no "no bench" policy, but obviously the longer you are on the bench, the more apt you are to be in the first round of a workforce reduction. If you are the kind of person that wants to be a big fish in a small pond, this isn't the place for you. EDS itself is 100,000 strong globally, and being added to an already huge HP, the parent company is now 300,000 employees (give or take 50000 or so, depending on recent layoffs). And the traditional EDS saying is true: It is the best first and third job. If you are an entry-level, recent college grad, and you start with EDS, the best career advice is to leave it after a few years, go work somewhere else to be paid market value, and then return. EDS is not known for rewarding current employees with competitive wages (It does not have a corporate bonus or raise schedule). It takes leaving and returning to get what you deserve.

Advice to Management

Because of the sheer size, it seems nearly impossible to have a voice. You are given "voice of the employee" surveys and performance reviews, but if you aren't in Plano, TX, you aren't going to be able to present ideas to senior leadership.

2. An HP Company....thank goodness!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Due to the HP acquisition, it will look great on your resume. EDS has employees whom have been with the company well over ten years and are willing to share their experiences, assist in navigating through the multi-layered, top-heavy management team.

Cons

Lack of innovation in company strategy Lack of professional development Top-heavy senior leadership, many of whom should have been gone a long time, yet somehow survived the rounds of lay-offs

Advice to Management

Lose the dead weight Bring in and retain more innovative leaders