Plenty of reasons to work for EDS

Current Employee - Senior Information Specialist  in  Plano, TX
Current Employee - Senior Information Specialist in Plano, TX

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

EDS is a large corporation which provides stability and plenty of career opportunities. If you are inclined it can be easy to move within the company, to experience different job roles and to advance your career. For IT professionals the merger with HP can be expected to provide plenty of new career opportunities within HP.
Salary and compensation have always been reasonable.

Cons

The current merger with HP is expected to result in layoffs for US based staff. However it is expected that the merger with HP will also include plenty of opportunities for EDS staff to transfer to other roles within HP if they desire.

Attempt to diversify to other revenue sources.

Other Reviews for Electronic Data Systems

EDS: it's a Dogbert eats Dogbert world

Former Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

This was my first "real job" out of college, so in one sense, this was a great starter job. I think the benefits package is/was also competitive with other large corporations in the US as well.

Cons

Where to start!

- In general, I thought upper management was completely clueless with regards to the problems facing the front-line workers. Outsourcing (or Best Shoring) is not, in theory, a bad idea. There were plenty of over-paid, under-performing US workers (who never seem to be fired, since most managers cannot, apparently properly measure performance), but replacing them with even less competent workers is not a solution, especially when their failure just leads to assigning more work to the remaining US workers. And, of course, admitting failure was never an option, so no matter what they screwed up, it was a "success"

-Obsession with process, in lieu of actually solving problems. What people don't seem to get is that when the process is too cumbersome, people will a) skip it, b) avoid the work, or c) deal with it. Guess which ones people chose more often than not? And guess what effect that has on workers and the work they do?

- As mentioned earlier, management being seemingly incapable of determining employee worth/value.

- Job security is non-existent. This wouldn't be too much of a problem if EDS didn't insist that we're all one big happy family, and that we should be loyal to the company. Better to just be honest about this being a mutually beneficial business relationship.

- Ending the telecommute option. This had to be one of the dumbest moves EDS ever made. In an age of instant communication through a plethora of means, EDS slams shut one of the few benefits it had going for it. The fact is, good workers will either work, or they wont. They wont have to sneak around as much at home, but trust me, they're the same crappy employees when they're sitting in their cubicles too. Instead of implementing a fair, decentralized policy (giving individual managers discretion to allow it, and the ability to revoke it for employees that can't handle it), they implemented a corporate-wide policy ending it. This led to some hilarious situations, where teams that were geographically dispersed *still* had to come in to any office. It doesn't matter if they work with no one at that office, and never talk to the people around them, it's good policy to have them in the office, sucking up (expensive) real estate, phone lines, etc.

- Since this was my first (real) job, EDS could low-ball the crap out of me. Fine, I get it, I'm untested and need to prove my worth. But what happens when I do? A fat pay raise to bring me up the median salary of my peers? Of course not! It doesn't matter if your in the top 20% of your group.... sure, you'll get that 5-7% raise, but when you start so low, it doesn't really matter. The worst thing is, you can *never* bargain for a better salary. Tell them you have a job offer that pays an industry standard wage and they basically say "we don't negotiate with terrorists!" Of course, you can leave and come back in 6 months and they'll gladly upgrade you to a higher wage.... if EDS thinks someone else is willing to pay you more money (and you can prove with a paycheck; a credible offer wont work!) they'll pay more. EDS should try leading, instead of following.

Being a senior manager is no doubt difficult, but people really are a company's best asset, and EDS clearly doesn't believe that. They frequently can't recognize talent, and even if they do they stifle it with poor compensation, inflexible working conditions, a nasty bureaucracy that makes problem solving difficult, and staffing solutions that frequently create more problems.

It's sad to see so much hard work be cast aside so that a few can get their's. But then that's fashion.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Consistant tasks regardless of need.

Cons

Here again, Consistant tasks regardless of need.

Remove the mask and be real. You maybe surprised how well people react to trust.

There are newer employer reviews for Electronic Data Systems.

Worked for Electronic Data Systems? Contribute to the Community!