Not the place for I.T. only politicians

Former Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Indianapolis, IN
Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Eli Lilly full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay when you can get it - sometimes merit increases don't happen
Annual Bonus - Very nice, but your rate is still determined by your management
Time off - Decent amount but not always allowed to take it.

Cons

Work you to death until you break then get rid of you
Outsourcing has made actual employees lazy
No true business knowledge left in hands of company employees
No regard for their employees health or well being
Can only advance if you are a pretty woman, non-american, or very good at politics

Stop outsourcing!!! It is bad enough you don't know how to run the company, but it is even worst that your employees don't know how to do their jobs.

Other Reviews for Eli Lilly

Women in technology? Do yourself a favor....

Current Employee - Assoc Consultant IT  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Assoc Consultant IT in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Eli Lilly full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The salaries and benefits are wonderful.

Cons

Eli Lilly's focus on diversity is almost exclusively aimed at minorities. Middle-aged people, not so much. Middle-aged women who are not beautiful? No career advancement possible.

Ever since they started the IT reallocation process, IT vision has been very inconsistent. On the one hand, the approach has understandably been to scrimp and save. One the other hand, let's buy Ipads as fast as we can, no business justification required. The capabilities teams can spend the dollars and produce invisible results. And where are those outsourcing results in dollars saved? (That last question applies also to R&D and mfg.)

The "rules" for career advancement are secret:
    1. You must be in a global job to add value (i.e. get a promotion.) Even though we all work on global projects, even lead global projects; even though Lilly certainly is focused on growth throughout the world; you must SIT at corporate to get promoted.
    2. You cannot leave a plant-site role for a global role, except for a promotion. Even though rule 1 applies, stay at those plant sites and slog it out.
    3. Above all, get on the happy list. If you aren't that list, you are going nowhere, results be damned..

Women in IT, interested in technology, not in herding cats (contractors) ---do not plan on a career at Lilly. Check the "Architect" jobs and count the women, just about zero.

Stay away from Lilly IT, they don't deserve you. They will milk your time and expertise, and even with exemplary results, they will tell you repeatedly that you never did anything important enough for advancement. Don't give them that opportunity!

....end....

Treat women in technology fairly. Treat middle-aged employees as though they were young or minority. Prepare for discrimination lawsuits which are not originated by African Americans.

When a professional comes to HR with concerns like these, the managerial responses should not have to include, "Don't say anything", especially as helpful advice.

very good

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Eli Lilly

Pros

not sure I can still do this. what was sold to me as a new employee has never materialize as I came into retirement. The loyalty of employees generated from the company founders is gone. I was so proud to work for this company and did everything I could including sacrificing my own person health not to disappoint the expectations set forth by the original founders. the only reason I can think of to work at Lilly in 2012 and beyond is to gain some experience.

Cons

Not sure the company values of the family are still in practice given the current political climate

glad to see some profitability and consideration of generics in oncoloby manufacturing

There are newer employer reviews for Eli Lilly.

Worked for Eli Lilly? Contribute to the Community!