Ellucian

www.ellucian.com
  www.ellucian.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ellucian

Tough Atmosphere to Work In.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Software Developer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ellucian full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Coworkers and and flexible hours. Challenging work.

Cons

Layoffs. Not knowing when there will be more.
Poor Communication from Sr. Management

Communicate.

120 Other Employee Reviews for Ellucian (View Most Recent)

I have been working at Ellucian

Pros

So far, my paycheck gets deposited on time.

Cons

If I asked my coworkers, I would probably find that, in recent years, most have had a new manager, on average, every 6 months due to chronic reorganization and turnover. Once, I found out about a manager change by email, and then I didn't hear from him again for months. That was when he scheduled my performance review. The gist of the review was this…he said that he "called around" to talk to a few people, and it seemed like I was doing a good job. I don't even blame him or any of my other managers. They have way too many direct reports. I won't go on. I think another reviewer covered this topic pretty well.

Development leadership makes promises to customers and delivers nothing on some product lines, literally, for years. I understand that a company needs to make a profit. However, collecting maintenance from customers year after year and delivering nothing is plainly unethical (and unsustainable). I work hard and I care about personally providing a fair value to the customers that I serve. Frankly though, I'm not feeling good about the value that the company is providing to clients. The taint of that situation is making me feel dirty by association...like I'm participating in a confidence game.

At this point I think I should just get out, but the non-compete agreement they made us sign to keep our jobs after the 'strategic combination' is ridiculous. I should have told them I wouldn't sign it and quit, but I naively believed that things would get better. Now I am stuck. Basically it says I can't accept a similar position for one year after employment ends even if they fire me without cause. The question is, what's similar? Anything in higher education, or with a software company, or anywhere in IT? The grapevine tells me that Ellucian is suing former co-workers over the agreement. I'm hearing that these people aren't even working in anything related to higher ed (which is the only industry where Ellucian competes). I guess I'll have to see a lawyer specializing in employment law to see if it's legal and enforceable. It's so sad that it's come to this.

Honestly, I feel like this job was the biggest mistake I ever made. I feel that my time at Ellucian has been wasted, and I have done irreparable damage to my career prospects. Right now, I wouldn't recommend this company to a friend, a valued business contact, or my worst enemy.

1. Look beyond this quarter's balance sheet and start making a plan for the longevity of this company. Does it even matter to you?

2. Stop making promises to employees and customers that you don't intend to keep, today.

3. We are a software company. Focus on producing innovative software and quality consulting services instead of executive positions. Try to make it appear that someone is doing QA on the software. Your employees want to support you in that effort.

Absorbing little companies and then marketing their software as our own is not innovation. The patchwork of pieces is starting to resemble the Frankenstein Monster, and it's as difficult to manage.

4. Seriously, every communication doesn't have to be a production. It's a waste of time, effort and MONEY which could be invested in our core mission. Just make a decision and communicate the message without the extravagant PowerPoint slides, images, and infernal videos.

Use plain language and speak clearly without dithering. Focus on the mission and the core message or all of the noise you create is just white noise.

The unrestrained frittering of resources by marketing (and human resources on internal communications) are destroying this company and diluting the message.

A pig in a pretty dress is still a pig. If your message isn't relevant without the fanfare, then rethink the message.

Still needs work ...

I worked at Ellucian full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has an excellent mission. Working to support higher education can be very rewarding and the customers are wonderful.

Cons

The company is severely lacking a positive internal culture and management has yet to overcome issues from the 2012 merger.

There are newer employer reviews for Ellucian