Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Ellucian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ellucian has been evolving for the better over the past year that I have been here. A lot of new Executive management that is bringing the business forward in a positive way. Overall the workforce is a great group of people and I would recommend working here.

Cons

The Fairfax office setup makes it hard to get to know other co-workers. There are new programs being put in place to help with getting to know each other but it is difficult due to the workforce being spread all over the world.

reviews filtered by

Growing, adjusting

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst

I have been working at Ellucian full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many positions are remote, so you don't need to be near an 'office'. A lot of employee engagement groups formed and the information for improvement is being taken seriously. The flagship product is undergoing a transformation using cutting edge technology.

Cons

Many remote positions require a ton of travel, or require knowledge of one of the heritage company's tech. Sometimes too specific for lateral career moves.

Focus on the future

Current Employee - Technology Director
    Current Employee - Technology Director

I have been working at Ellucian full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Growth has been good in past few years, the company has started to pay attention to internal issues and their people, strong sales focus, products greatly improving

Cons

Mergers create constant climate of cultural unrest; systems still reflect 'them' and 'us' - technology management teams are providing the most sustainable profit margins but are not well understood, supported or represented in the corporate structure; the sales and consulting side constantly undermines and vampirizes from TM and the higher ups seem to only emphasize product sales.

Non-datatel people outside of fairfax feel excluded and marginalized. Divisions compete with each other. Company is still 'storming' and morale is low.

Great ideas tend to surface, momentum gets started, and then efforts get abandoned and the company shifts to the next new shiny thing without following through to completion on core business processes. We sell 'best practices' - let's start using them!

Advice to Management

Learn about, understand, value and reward TM site leadership, staff TM sites adequately, establish contracts with best practices, and recognize that sales may be an easy business model, but we can only sell a product once - the company's future rests in the installation and sustenance of the onsite teams and services to manage those products and leverage them to the fullest so the products add value to the clients operations and our reputation and strength as a world leader in our field will grow.

Your TM staff are not expendable resources, and the long term success model does not rely solely on the margin. The company needs to understand how unique and talented the TM leadership needs to be to do what they do each day. HR doesn't have a clue what skills or experience we all have...what is needed...Or how far above and beyond we need to stretch every day - beyond those cookie cutter easy to manage 'one size fits all' job descriptions they applied unilaterally. Does anyone actually pay attention when we report what we accomplish every year? What does an 'Academic Technology Management' team in your company actually do? They aren't just a bunch of instructional designers.

TM leadership grapples with the responsibilities of managing their site without needed policy support or client side business maturity, struggles with project management duties, staff management is difficult when roles are unclearly defined and considered marginal... a TM team thrives in the most challenging cultural environments... and then faces red tape, low resource levels, inadequate recruiting and retention support, poor system access, difficulty rewarding performance because the company doesn't grasp what we do or why it's important... and then we all face that marginalized status within corporate. Employee engagement will not improve because of more newsletters, or more frequent conference calls and email blasts about our sales numbers.