Ellwood Thompson's

Great concept - poor execution

Current Employee - Steward in Richmond, VA
Current Employee - Steward in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Ellwood Thompson's

Pros

- Employees support the mission of the store and are VERY knowledgable

Cons

Management/Onwership is more concerned with profits than the mission

reviews filtered by
  1. High turnover rate for staff and managers.

Current Employee - Steward, Front End in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Steward, Front End in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Ellwood Thompson's (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discount. Most employees are knowledgeable and hard working.
    Health and dental are good.
    Strong customer base.

Cons

Managers are usually hired outside of company and are virtual clueless about how to manage and mentor their department. This is partly due to no management training program or set goals for managers. This creates bad habits that are not usually corrected by upper management. This trickles down to employees shouldering many of the administrative responsibilities of department managers.
    The owner is completely clueless with store operations and employee performance other than some superficial qualities.
    There is often little that is done by managers to curb the employees that are gossiping, socializing and not doing what is required of them, resulting in their team members having to fill that gap.

Advice to Management

I recommend a third party audit of management and team performance, with the goal of restoring accountability, creating a training system for managers and employees, including but not limited to cross training existing employees. I also recommend some kind of employee incentive program to which more effectively tracks performance, teamwork and general ability. If you implement this, you may find it more desirable and more convenient to promote capable employees.
    This will eliminate many problems before they even start.

Meat Department

Former Employee - Meat Department in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Meat Department in Richmond, VA

I worked at Ellwood Thompson's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There was decent pay, a quarter bin for employees which was always great, and they offered of paid time off even for part time employees.

Cons

There is a TON of drama within management. My supervisor was very unprofessional and was very passive aggressive. He told me several times that I allowed my personal life to interfere with my work life (I am a student), however he came in many times upset because of things outside of work and would have an attitude throughout the work day. He would tell me that I could get time off if I found someone to cover my shift and then when I did tell me I wasn't allowed to anymore to have that time off.

Also, when I got hired I told them I would have to take two weeks off for my wedding and I informed them that I was a full time student. They agreed and had no problem with this until my 90 day review when both were brought up and was basically told I wasn't as good as an employee as I should be because I wasn't completely devoted to the store.

Also a huge issue I had with the entire store was their two-faced attitude in regards to customers and the environment. Yes they do take some steps to help the environment, but not as many as you would think as a customer.

Advice to Management

Actually do what you say in regards to the environment and sustainability. Invest into creating a culture of people that love working there and you might have less transition periods with employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Ellwood Thompson's