Elsevier

www.elsevier.com

Nice company to work

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Amsterdam (Netherlands)
Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Pros

Nice work balance, flexible hours and many opportunities across the whole organization

Cons

Management team not really understand tactical and technical things

Other reviews for Elsevier

Company lacks enthusiasm

Pros

Good work-life balance. Considerable amount of females in leadership roles. Realistic expectations.

Cons

Lack of vision. Little to no training. Mid-level managers are uninspiring.

Share a vision and a strategy with the company and individual divisions. Stand up for that vision and use it to galvanize employees around common goals. Break down the barriers to doing every day business. Add head count when warranted.

Managing Editor in U.S.

Former Employee - Managing Editor
    Former Employee - Managing Editor

Pros

Very good benefits -- 401K company match, we even had a pension (now gone), and health insurance options at reasonable contribution rates. Pay was good overall in the past, but then the annual raises were so tiny they essentially stopped.

Cons

Elsevier, as the parent company, did not understand what we were doing in our small division. They therefore ignored us and did not provide the resources we needed to produce our publications. We had repeated layoffs, leaving behind a skeleton crew, and then they sold us to a company that appears to be even worse (cheaper!)

Take the time to find out what all of your divisions are doing, and then provide what they need in terms of basic resources. Don't demand large profit margins from a division that is severely understaffed.

There are newer employer reviews for Elsevier.

Worked for Elsevier? Contribute to the Community!