There are newer employer reviews for Elsevier

Can I sue for lost professional years?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Elsevier full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Large company with generous time off.

Cons

Got a masters and tried my hardest to advance. Sought career counselors, actually paid $500 for a career coach, thinking all this time it was me that was the problem, and that it was my own fault I was stuck in the same position for almost a decade. Turns out everyone is having the same problem. I'm now at a company where my skills and effort are valued... I almost don't know how to respond to that kind of positive environment after Elsevier. But I am finally healing. Just stay away if you can.

Abandon ship. This problem isn't only at the middle management level. Something needs to be completely revamped to fix internal problems.

204 Other Employee Reviews for Elsevier (View Most Recent)

Where Careers Go to Die: Elsevier Health Science

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Elsevier full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Solid educational product line. Great clients. Interesting sales process and engaging solution sales - especially on the PSE side.

Cons

Micromanagement. Sr. Sales leaders were promoted into their positions during an up economy, but with no true understanding of what it takes to sell in current environment. Unintentional diminishers who led to dissatisfied employees and low productivity. Managers given little respect. Meanness valued over compassion. Reps were not given any authority or independence. Processes were non-existent, or worse - crippling. Leadership more interested in protecting their own jobs than creating opportunities or resolving the underlying issues that make selling nearly impossible. Terribly Place to Work if you are a true sales professional. Expect to have every decision questioned and not to be trusted. There's only one smart person in the room and if you're a rep or a front line manager, you can rest assured that no one in the D or VP suite will think it's you. Decisions take forever to make - leading to lost opportunity and revenue.

Don't be afraid to recognize talent. Help empower your leaders rather than diminishing them. Create reporting structures that make sense and operationalize the sales processes that cripple your sales staff's ability to perform their jobs.

Positive work environment with flexibility, plenty of growth opportunities.

Former Employee - Acquisitions Editor  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Acquisitions Editor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Elsevier full-time

Pros

It was easy to find great mentors and the environment was beautiful.

Cons

During some periods, leadership was missing.

There are newer employer reviews for Elsevier

Worked for Elsevier? Contribute to the Community!