Elster Electricity

There are newer employer reviews for Elster Electricity

Software Engineer @ Elster/Energy ICT

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Elster Electricity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

What can I say, it was a job. It was a place where I was told what to do and I got paid for listening and doing those things. The people I work with make most of the difference between a good job and a bad job. My boss was very good to me and the people I worked with were pretty cool. The job allowed me to be productive while also paying my bills. Life was good as it should. That is until the "Cons" arrived...

Cons

Elster was purchased by an English company named Melrose PLC. The philosophy of Melrose is to Buy, Improve and Sell. The word “Improve” is very subjective considering that their biggest change was the elimination of American jobs. I hear that things are getting better in India. Maybe it's time to move there and get my old job back ;)

The American dream will continue to die as long as our government does not protect us from corporations, globalization and the decay of rights. Everyone here in the USA including management should be kicking and screaming!

8 Other Employee Reviews for Elster Electricity (View Most Recent)

Status Quo At All Cost

Former Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Elster Electricity

Pros

OK salary
    Surprisingly good benefits package
    8-5 workday for the most part
    US manufacturing

Cons

Elster N.A. is mainly comprised of Westinghouse/ABB and AMCO (American Meter Co.)
    Mixing two entities together and renaming the combination as a new entity is a logical fallacy. This is a old management delusion. These are two old school, dinosaur companies with their own culture and Elstertop management does not seem to be willing or capable of integrating them. AMCO is the politically “weak” organization that serves as a scapegoat. (i.e. recent layoffs)

This conflict and the resultant political infighting along with the typical incompetent, grandiose middle
    management in both groups hampers efforts to introduce successful new products.

Also:

There is a demonstrated lack of engineering leadership in both groups.

Upper management is passive/reactive and looks to other leading AMR/AMI companies for direction.

It’s a frustrating environment if you want to be a productive engineer developing high performance, quality products.

Typical corporate environment of too many meetings, e-mails, conflicting, redundant processes and general “work avoidance” to give management the illusion of progress.

Typical overstaffed HR.

OK place to work while you are looking for a job.

Executive management needs to make a decision to truly integrate EE and AMCO or sell off AMCO. It’s not working as it is.
    Integration will require a top to bottom management housecleaning at Elster N.A. and hiring of leadership rather than management.
    Elster N.A. needs a technically competent CTO that has engineering leadership and vision beyond the end of the quarter.

Elster conveys a miserly attitude to its employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Elster Electricity

Pros

Enjoyed relationships with co-workers.
    Good location in Raleigh, NC.
    Company has a good history in the industry, but the future does not look as bright.

Cons

The primary frustrations from my time at Elster were a lack of promotion from within the company (ie: growing the talent you already have), and a pronounced reluctance to reward good performance.

Regardless of performance, you can expect the same small annual salary increase (if any). This is highly demotivating to employees who have worked hard and pursued improvement when they discover that they not only received a pittance of an increase/bonus - but that they got nearly the same reward as the person in the next cube who is unmotivated or lazy. Furthermore, it did not seem to matter if the company was performing well or not - the result was always a miserly distribution to employees.

There was also a gradual degradation of the benefits package during my years at Elster.

It seems as if upper management is oblivious to the continuing frustration and departure of talented employees - and is only concerned with wringing as much work as they can from their workforce while giving as little as they can in return.

When I was hired, I was asked for my target starting salary. I gave a fairly conservative answer and was then informed my starting salary would be 16% less then what I had asked for.

In short - prospective employee, beware!

Wise up! When good employees continue to leave your company, a good employer starts to ask "why?" - and then corrects the problem.
    The cost of keeping good employees is far less than having to deal with constant turnover or bad performance due to frustrated employees. Consider taking care of your biggest asset before that asset deteriorates and eventually decides to seek greener pastures elsewhere.

There are newer employer reviews for Elster Electricity