Scribe (CIM) position

Current Employee - Clinical Information Manager in Lumberton, NC
Current Employee - Clinical Information Manager in Lumberton, NC

I have been working at Emergency Medical Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good learning experience especially if you are a student. You get exposure to all types of emergencies and learn more about the treatments and diagnoses associated with various signs/symptoms. You get great experience using medical terminology correctly and you'll be awesome at charting and being thorough if you decide to pursue other medical careers. Also, you get to watch procedures, examinations, and other interesting things.

Cons

It can be stressful at times, and there are definitely shifts where I only have time to take a 5-10 minute break for the entire 12 hours. You can't plan on getting off on time, either. It can also be difficult sometimes switching between and memorizing the way each specific doctor likes their charting to be done. Lastly, you'll learn that there are a few doctors out of the many you will be charting for that can be difficult to work with - some of them can be rude to the staff at times and create chaos when things get busy.

Advice to Management

I don't really have any ideas on things that need to be improved. I guess it might be nice if we were to get more feedback on our performance and what we can improve upon.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. No room for growth

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Emergency Medical Associates

Pros

Nice atmosphere with gun coworkers

Cons

pay and lack of response from upper management

Advice to Management

better to work for a larger company where you can grow and be compensated more appropriately for hard work and bringing in more business.

2. Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Clinical Information Manager
    Current Employee - Clinical Information Manager

Pros

The pay is the best in the scribing industry. Every department in the company is so helpful and they will point you in the right direction. If you have any issues at your hospital site, you have a lead CIM to help you directly. You are working alongside practitioners, most of whom are EMA PAs and MDs, who understand that you may be taking coursework for college. I personally thought the 12.5 hour work day was the best because I could work 3 nights (I was an overnight employee) and fulfill my full-time obligation. The interview process was simple, as was the 2 week training period that followed after being accepted into the company. The experience working as an EMA CIM looks phenomenal on any resume.

Cons

Summer months tend to be the busiest for everyone in the hospital, including the CIM. Sometimes a lone CIM will need to work 2 or even 3 zones in the ED at the same time due to staffing issues that arise during the summer. This results in burnout very quickly into the shift and, as those types of shifts rack up, into the job.

Advice to Management

Continue choosing great hospital sites to partner up with. Please be very mindful of the CIM department in particular as your company grows. It seems as though the 3 CIM regional managers have so much on their plate, although they perform so well -- be mindful of their needs, expectations, and limitations as well. Try to broaden out of your typical recruitment habits. For example, I know of many older people who are not in school right now but they do have the educational component and the medical background to be superb, professional employees who could stay for a good 2-3 years at the least.