I love my job. Taking care of our residents is our #1 goal.

Current Employee - CRD  in  Hattiesburg, MS
Current Employee - CRD in Hattiesburg, MS

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Never a hesitation to getup and go in the morning. We have a great team.

Cons

Sometimes the hours are long but worth it.

Keep putting the residents first.

Emeritus Senior Living Response

Jun 3, 2014Recruiting Project Specialist

Thank you for your review!

Other Reviews for Emeritus Senior Living

Not bad, but could definitely be better

Current Employee - Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1) Steady work, regular paycheck
    2) Great co-workers; current regulations ensure no unqualified applicants are employed
    3) Fair pay for certain line positions based on experience
    4) Outstanding medical and dental benefits and costs
    5) Close to infrastructure routes, bus-lines, major arterials, easy access
    6) Paid time off, sick time, holiday pay
    7) Up to 90 day leave of absence permitted by law

Cons

1) 45-minute breaks means less productivity, less pay
    2) 45-minute break taken out of holiday pay
    3) Unreasonable scrutiny of mispunches
    4) Unreasonable expectation of no overtime for census being 100% or higher
    5) Unreasonably low allotment of hours for each department to keep facility running smoothly
    6) Miniscule raises (2.5% or less)
    7) No Christmas bonus to line staff (e.g., cash)
    8) Most RA and MA positions underpaid
    9) No free shift meal
    10) Too many redundant conference calls and waste of resources
    11) Crandall menu unpopular with residents, unnecessarily restrictive and rejected by residents (e.g., I want gravy on my potatoes, I don't care what that diet order says, and I want a roll!)
    12) Counterproductive restrictions on food order purchases that result in higher food costs (e.g., forced to buy higher priced items in smaller quantities, can't break cases), which also results in higher residual end-of-month inventories

1) Permanently eliminate 45-minute break and restore 30-minute break
    2) Restore full holiday pay and don't take a break out of it
    3) Allow more than 24 hours to correct mispunches
    4) Round off time worked to nearest minute instead of nearest 15 minutes
    5) Increase standard workweek of net hours from 36.5 to 40
    6) Increase raises to 2.5% minimum to 5% or more based on performance
    7) Give cash Christmas bonuses based on tenure the payday before Christmas to the front-line employees (RA's, MA's, cooks, housekeepers)
    8) Increase company minimum wage to $12.00 an hour to increase quality of new-hires and also to increase employee retention and minimize employee turnover
    9) Give at least one free meal per shift to all employees
    10) Restore the two personal holidays per year (full 8 hours each)
    11) Restore the 10-year benefit level (160 hours vacation for full time and 200 hour maximum accrual)
    12) Remove all DSD restrictions; let the dining services do his job and save the company money by ordering less expensive items and also ones that the residents like and the freedom to substitute for the horribly written Crandall menu
      12a. The Crandall menu has dinner at lunch and lunch at dinner meaning smaller meals at dinnertime results in the residents getting hungry at 9:00 or 10:00
      12b. Unpopular desserts that residents can get any time (e.g., why is fruit listed as a dessert, nobody really likes jello, and would you actually have quiche for an entree and custard pie for dessert at the same meal??)
      12c. Let chefs write the menu; as was mentioned, residents often disregard diet orders and want rolls, gravy, crust on their pie, the only exception being restricted salt.
       12d. Consider cutting real costs by eliminating the Crandall system altogether and let your chefs be chefs and remove the utterly ridiculous and impossible situation of keeping spreadsheets on the line during meal preparation. There is 20 minutes to get 100 meals served and that is not going to happen when each order has to be checked against a spreadsheet and marked, and then having the RA's remember each one, and then having them come back because the resident refused the restriction, and then the cook being pulled off the line to discuss it with the resident, who is already working alone--you see the insanity here?

Unethical Greedy Company

Former Employee - Executive Director  in  Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary and good people to work with daily at the individual property level.

Cons

This is a national company on the stock market. They expect sales, sales, sales on a weekly basis and to boost profits any way possible. I was an Executive Director and could only tolerate their practices for 2 months before I quit. You are monitored by a regional team of directors who can come in and manage your property over you at any time if they think you are doing something that could affect them getting their bonuses. They do not value customers or residents at an individual level, only what they can make off of them. It was an ethical nightmare and I would not place my family member in this profit-driven atmosphere. If you are unsure, just look at their turnover rate for management in your local paper. Make sure you research this company well before you get on board.

Your business practices are unethical and you can still be a profitable company if you remember that healthcare can make money while still providing excellent care. The greed of the upper management and those at regional levels for big bucks should be investigated further than the PBS investigative report done in 2013 exposing the "shut the back door" business model to ensure you squeeze every resident for cash. These are humans....

There are newer employer reviews for Emeritus Senior Living.

Worked for Emeritus Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!