Emerson Process Management

There are newer employer reviews for Emerson Process Management

field engineer

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Emerson Process Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

competitive salaries, get to travel in interesting places and middle of nowhere.

Cons

we get sent on a job without enough training.
Also there is lack of employee commitment.

need more training.

291 Other Employee Reviews for Emerson Process Management (View Most Recent)

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Emerson Process Management full-time

Pros

Great people. Interesting and fun work.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of...

Awesome Flow lab to test products and a very good office environment

Former Employee - Test and Evaluation Engineer Coop in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Test and Evaluation Engineer Coop in McKinney, TX

I worked at Emerson Process Management as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Flextime: Emerson doesn't follow the standard 9-5 schedule. Instead it's work when you want to, just get your tasks done and be at any required meetings. Somedays I go in at 7am, somedays 9am, it's up to me and how late I want to stay to get my hours in.
    Independence: I'm given a task or project to do and it's up to me to figure out how to do it. I don't have someone breathing down my neck or holding my hand all the way. They trust their people to get the work done in a timely manner and with the quality they expect.
    Activities: I really enjoy the fitness center they have here at the office. Since the flextime allows longer or shorter lunches depending on what you want, it gives time to use the facilities during lunch. I usually play basketball with coworkers 2-3 times a week. They have a full gym, outdoor full court, indoor full court, racquetball court, and a full locker room with showers. Lets you meet a lot of people from other positions or departments and is a lot of fun .
    Projects: As a coop I had fears of getting stuck doing pointless office tasks for superiors. Luckily that isn't the case here. I get assigned large and important projects to work on that affect million dolar decisions. It puts a little pressure on your work , but it also makes your experience better learning what it's actually like to be a full engineer. No getting coffee for someone or being stuck scanning documents all day.
    Hands On: Getting to work on products in the lab is an awesome experience that you don't get from many coops. You get to run giant low lines with high pressure air. You get to work with amazing technologies and learn how to run experiments in the professional world. I spend about 75% of the time working on stuff in the lab and about 25% at my desk doing data analysis or reports.

Cons

Working as a coop can get a bit stressful. You have a lot of deadlines to meet and you might not always meet them all. You have to rely on yourself for planning your work and schedule, they assign a task and its up to you. The testing personnel are all swamped and it requires you teach your self how to do a lot of the things required on your own in the lab. Also don't expect a bunch of hurrahs when you finish something, there is definitely a lack of recognition on a lot of things. You may think you've done an amazing job, but they might just think that's what's expected. You don't get a lot of feedback, just your own knowledge of doing it well.

As a coop you are very much so on the bottom of the totem pole. You get some projects or tasks the regular full times don't want to do. It's not too bad though as its all a learning experience anyways, most are still important and just have to be done. Your opinions sometimes will be completely ignored on projects, it's just part of how long you've been there and still have much to learn. Coops are only there for a max of 6months, people get annoyed with a new set of coops do the same mistakes over and over again, causing them to sometimes not trust valid opinions or input. Again it's understandable and as a coop you definitely always have more to learn.

Give recognition on projects or tasks well done. A simple "good job" means a lot and makes people want to keep working hard to receive more praise.

There are newer employer reviews for Emerson Process Management