Emerson

www.emerson.com

Often bizarre internal culture due to the influence of incumbent senior management

Corporate (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsEmerson has robust internal procedures, especially with regards to acquisitions. Impressive track record of successfully integrating acquired companies into the main Emerson business.

ConsDespite the very unique collection of characters in senior management, Emerson favors the "Stepford employee" who does what they are told and do not have much in way of personality.

Secondly, management watches their employees very closely and any supposedly suspicious behavior (eg. taking or making (very brief) calls in unused meeting rooms) - have led to the employee in question being accused of job-hunting. I have never seen such extreme, laughable paranoia on the part of senior management at any of my former workplaces. Emerson offices are open-concept and some employees have the decency not to subject their coworkers to the gruesome details of their / their children's medical or personal issues, hence their decision to make such calls in private.

Advice to Senior ManagementThinly-veiled threats of kicking employees off the "high potential" list if they refuse to move every two years as decreed by management is the best way to lose your most talented pool of employees. Don't just pay lip service to "work-life balance" and then expect employees to uproot their families and move in the interest of "career development" every 24 months.

Also, learn to respect employees' choices where their personal life is concerned - I have heard stories about how women who are divorced or have chosen not to marry (for various reasons) are called names and insulted by senior management. Ironically, no one questions or makes fun of the single / divorced men. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Emerson is big, global and diverse with good job opportunities for motivated people.

Executive Level (Current Employee)

I have been working at Emerson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Stable, smart management who run the company's diverse business platforms … Cons: Can be slow to change. Sometimes can be too conservative. Some business platforms are much more progressive than others. Compensation and benefit… Advice to Senior Management: Keep it up. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great company to work with

IT Director (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Emerson full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: can enjoy stability and longevity in career Cons: lack of options for faster growth Advice to Senior Management: try to get nimble Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Emerson.

Worked for Emerson? Contribute to the Community!