Emerson

www.emerson.com
  www.emerson.com
There are newer employer reviews for Emerson

Overall, it has been a good experience working at Emerson.

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Emerson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A problem solving organization. Overall the company is financially well managed, invests heavily in new technology development, drives innovation, and is a thought leader striving to be #1 or #2 in markets served. Most people are customer focused and work well together to develop solutions that deliver significant results. Compensation and benefits are okay. In general work / life balance is good for most people.

Cons

Too many silos. Organizational design, goals, measures, rewards, and incentives are not always optimal to encourage collaboration or best results across departments, regions, or business units. Heavily matrixed organization can make it challenging to gain approvals, buy-in, or consensus to change. Also, there are fairly limited opportunities to take foreign assignments, however, most global leadership or subject matter expert positions typically require extensive international travel 50%+.

183 Other Employee Reviews for Emerson (View Most Recent)

Good company to make a career with

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Emerson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, potential to move within the organization to other companies in the portfolio, training opportunities. If you make smart choices you could spend your entire career in this company. Emerson has a portfolio of companies and the span the globe. Within my division alone was Intermetro Industries, Ridge Tool, Closet Maid, Insinkerator and there are Emerson climate tech, and others.

Cons

I was laid off when the company moved work to PA and I didnt want to move. They were generous with my severance package, but I was a manager. I don't think the workers fared as well.

Great Place to Learn, Great Place to Retire (if you can stay employed)

Former Employee - Director, Engineering in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director, Engineering in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Emerson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Emerson has great processes and strong, stable leadership. It has great training infrastructure for its leaders, including very effective mandatory training for first-line managers and 360 reviews for directors and above. The company focus on profitability assures that the company at least is viable going concern and will be around for the indefinite future. The company has a fantastic retirement plan if you don't get laid off before you can build it up. For those who join now, there is a profit sharing contribution to your retirement. The older folks get a pension.

Cons

It's incredibly difficult to cull out poor performers - especially at the individual contributor level, but when profitability of a business unit is an issue, a layoff can ensue that takes out a whole swath of people - both good and bad.

The culture tends to breed a lot of cliques and factions - both inside the various business units and especially between them. There are mandates to the business units to collaborate more effectively but for the most part these mandates are only given lip service. Each BU and Line of Business has its own P&L - to which incentive pay is based - and *everyone* is short staffed. Hence there is significant disincentive to collaborate if there is no way for both BU's to heavily monetize the opportunity.

The company has a strategy to move into MRO & Energy services enabled by enterprise software. This strategy permeates the business with teams in every platform (Climate, Process, IA, etc) trying to execute it.

Unfortunately, the company is not a true software development company - it is a component manufacturer with firmware development for the electronics it sells. Software development - especially enterprise software development - is an enigma to senior leadership.

Therefore, while the software-enabled service strategy conceptually seems like a great idea, it has been extremely problematic to monetize. Many of the issues lie with the execution, but quite frankly the initial strategy was flawed as well. I'm not sure if there have been adjustments since 2013.

Finally - the place is a case study in unfunded mandates. I heard "we need to do more with less" so many times that it ceased to have any meaning. There are process groups that expect compliance with certain process changes but the funding for the QA and project management heads to implement the changes is never there..

Be more willing to admit that a strategy isn't working and come up with a new approach. People in the office of the chief executive need to be willing to allow the business units more flexibility in their go-to-market approach for services and software. Be willing to take a hit in profitability and do what it takes to truly fund innovation. Don't make it so hard to fire people.

There are newer employer reviews for Emerson